No Wood Sheathing In My Garage!? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By spacefrog
  • 2 Post By schreibdave
  • 3 Post By HenryMac

Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 PM  

Rewards Points: 112

No Wood Sheathing in my Garage!?

Not sure if this post belongs in the Siding/Roofing section ...

I am remodeling my garage to be a workshop and gym. As I was feeding some electrical wire to install a subpanel, I discovered that my garage does not have any wood sheathing! It only has this resin or fiberboard siding, which does not seem structural at all. I live in Houston, which is very humid in the Summers. Is this normal? I cannot think of any reason why someone would put cheap, flimsy siding as the wall sheathing instead of plywood or OSB. My roof has plywood sheathing though.

My biggest concern with this is all the work I'm putting into insulating the walls and putting up drywall. If I staple the insulation directly to this cheap fiberboard, and if I need to replace the fiberboard with real wood sheathing in the future, then I'll have to redo all the insulation.

Are my concerns valid? Should I just carry on, insulate my garage directly onto the fiberboard, put up drywall and be done with it? Or should I replace this resin/fiberboard siding with more sturdy OSB or plywood.

See attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
No Wood Sheathing in my Garage!?-photo-mar-02-5-39-24-pm-copy.jpg   No Wood Sheathing in my Garage!?-photo-mar-02-5-39-32-pm-copy.jpg   No Wood Sheathing in my Garage!?-photo-mar-02-5-39-42-pm-copy.jpg   No Wood Sheathing in my Garage!?-photo-mar-02-5-39-55-pm-copy.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 07:32 PM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,008

Re: No Wood Sheathing in my Garage!?

The job of sheeting is to hold the wall from racking, we can see a brace in the corner on an angle cut into the studs on the outside, that is looking after the racking.
Not sure how you would staple insulation to sheeting of any description. But we don't use paper faced here and if we did the paper would be on the inside stapled to the studs.
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 08:20 PM  
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,356

Not ideal but I dont see a problem. Is this an attached garage?
That looks more like cement board siding like hardy plank. That also looks like black tar paper behind it. But you did not mention that.
I also have never heard of stapling the insulation to the sheathing. Just install it the conventional way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 09:00 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The job of sheeting is to hold the wall from racking, we can see a brace in the corner on an angle cut into the studs on the outside, that is looking after the racking.
Not sure how you would staple insulation to sheeting of any description. But we don't use paper faced here and if we did the paper would be on the inside stapled to the studs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
Not ideal but I dont see a problem. Is this an attached garage?
That looks more like cement board siding like hardy plank. That also looks like black tar paper behind it. But you did not mention that.
I also have never heard of stapling the insulation to the sheathing. Just install it the conventional way.
Sorry for the dumb questions. What is racking?

And I don’t actually know how to install insulation. I haven’t read that chapter yet. I just assumed it was stapled to the sheathing from the interior.

Am I correct that the gist of what y’all are saying is that I’m worrying about nothing?
Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 PM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefrog View Post
Sorry for the dumb questions. What is racking?

And I donít actually know how to install insulation. I havenít read that chapter yet. I just assumed it was stapled to the sheathing from the interior.

Am I correct that the gist of what yíall are saying is that Iím worrying about nothing?
I am not sure whether you need or want the paper faced in TX and there are other insulations that might better suit what you are doing
but here is a start.
Racking,, hopefully all your walls are perfect rectangles and if there were to lean over a little they would not be rectangles, that lean over to one end would be racking.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:32 AM  

Rewards Points: 4,320

Quote:
Am I correct that the gist of what y’all are saying is that I’m worrying about nothing?
Simply put, yes; this is a more common situation than you would think.

Insulation is typically either just stuffed into the stud bays or, if is it faced, the paper is typically on the inside and stapled to the studs.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:28 AM  

Rewards Points: 666

They installed it that way to save money by not having to purchase plywood or OSB . Not the end of the world . The least expensive insulation you can " generally " purchase is kraft faced fiberglass . With your 2 x 4 construction that means R13 , buy the correct width either 15 " or 23 " and go to town with a stapler . You staple the " paper flange " on the insulation to the studs . Then go ahead and finish your interior . If it were mine I would finish the interior with plywood or OSB , it holds up so much better in a garage environment than sheetrock . But obviously it is not fire retardant so may be a concern if this is an attached garage .

If in the future you plan to remove the vinyl siding the insulation you installed previously will remain . You can then add plywood or OSB to the exterior , then some foam sheet insulation , house wrap and then your siding of choice . You will end up with a strong structure that is tight and insulated quite well .
Old 03-03-2019, 08:24 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I am not sure whether you need or want the paper faced in TX and there are other insulations that might better suit what you are doing
but here is a start.
Racking,, hopefully all your walls are perfect rectangles and if there were to lean over a little they would not be rectangles, that lean over to one end would be racking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Simply put, yes; this is a more common situation than you would think.

Insulation is typically either just stuffed into the stud bays or, if is it faced, the paper is typically on the inside and stapled to the studs.
Thanks for the explanation and tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche986S View Post
They installed it that way to save money by not having to purchase plywood or OSB . Not the end of the world . The least expensive insulation you can " generally " purchase is kraft faced fiberglass . With your 2 x 4 construction that means R13 , buy the correct width either 15 " or 23 " and go to town with a stapler . You staple the " paper flange " on the insulation to the studs . Then go ahead and finish your interior . If it were mine I would finish the interior with plywood or OSB , it holds up so much better in a garage environment than sheetrock . But obviously it is not fire retardant so may be a concern if this is an attached garage .

If in the future you plan to remove the vinyl siding the insulation you installed previously will remain . You can then add plywood or OSB to the exterior , then some foam sheet insulation , house wrap and then your siding of choice . You will end up with a strong structure that is tight and insulated quite well .
This is an "attached-detached" garage, meaning it's a separate garage from my house but it shares the same roof as my house.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I will carry on as normal, and when the time comes to remove the siding I will replace it with OSB or plywood.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 AM  

Quick question: will my current setup with the cement/fiber siding (no wood sheathing) plus insulation prevent me from having a well-insulated garage?
Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 AM  
retired painter

Rewards Points: 756

It shouldn't, the siding acts as the sheathing. Back in the 80's in fla I painted a whole subdivision that had similar siding with no sheathing on all the houses.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:29 AM  
Collector of tools

Rewards Points: 126

If your focus is on making the space comfortable and energy efficient don't forget to focus on air sealing. I would buy a Great Stuff Pro Gun ($50) and a bunch of cans of foam ($10 each) and go to town before installing insulation.
mark sr and spacefrog like this.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM  

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefrog View Post
I will carry on as normal, and when the time comes to remove the siding I will replace it with OSB or plywood.
Before you go throwing good money at a perceived issue do some research.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the siding you currently have. It's wood based, just like OSB or plywood.

What you have is T1-11 sheathing, or more specifically, appears to be LP Smartside. It has tongue and groove edges. Homes and garages have been built using it as exterior sheathing for decades.

It works best in semi arid climates... since you are in Texas... the siding will outlast you, if you keep it painted and if it was installed per manufacturer specifications.

Read through this and make sure clearances are maintained.

https://lpcorp.com/media/1270/lp-sma...-english-1.pdf
AndyGump, Nealtw and spacefrog like this.

Last edited by HenryMac; 03-03-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement