No Tyvek - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 49

No Tyvek

House is 10 years old, vinyl sided. Doing repairs (damaged siding from lawn mower hitting it) and found no tyvek under the vinyl siding, just bare OSB. Talked with original builder, said vb not required under vinyl. Also, house is built with an "interior" vb...checked it out, and yes, on exterior walls, directly under the sheetrock on interior side of wall, is plastic sheeting. He told me adding tyvek to outside, if I resided, would not work, since moisture could be trapped in the wall, by the plastic on the inside, and vb/tyvek on the outside.

Right, wrong, different??

Most houses around here are built with tyvek under vinyl. Garages and outbuildings, they just put the vinyl straight over the osb, no vb. Several other houses in the development are done same as this one, plastic VB on inside wall surface under sheetrock, no vb outside under vinyl.

edit: located in central SC

Last edited by ranger12; 01-20-2011 at 12:01 AM.
ranger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where is "here" ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
WillK (01-20-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

You need either a felt paper or other substitute (approved by local B.D.), required Water Resistive Barrier as per Code. Tyvek is a plastic, vapor permeable (goes through) house wrap or WRB. http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...003_par003.htm

It appears you are in Zone 3; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ecommendations

Vapor barrier not required in Zone #3, as per IRC; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...001_par003.htm

Please check with your B.D. as out-buildings and garages are required to have a WRB around here, as per minimum Code.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
ranger12 (01-20-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 49

Thanks. That pointed me in the right direction, I think

House built in c.2000, as I read it, the 2000 ICC does not require under vinyl siding:

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...003_par001.htm

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...003_par005.htm

So, at least it was up to code when built, as I read it.

I'm not going to worry about it, just might be a PIA with a home inspector when I try and sell it, but still to (2000) code.
ranger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,002

it's not uncommon to see houses built within the last 10 years to have nowrb under vinyl siding,the problems will usually manifest themselves under window openings

this house was 5 years old and damage was already happening
Attached Thumbnails
No Tyvek-1012101350.jpg   No Tyvek-1012101350a.jpg  
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 257

I have a related question. I'm in a mixed-humid climate (Arkansas). I'm using Avantech wall Zip panels for the wall sheathing instead of typical OSB. The Zip panels have a water resistant (or maybe even waterproof) coating on the exterior side. Over the Zip panels, I'm using vinyl for siding.
Would it still be a good idea to use Tyvek or building felt between the sheathing and siding ?

Also, even with typical OSB, if you cover it with foamboard, do you still need Tyvek or felt between the foamboard and siding ?
Arky217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tyvek is not a vapour barrier and is not sold as such; it is an air barrier and a rain barrier that goes on the outside of the house to provide additional protection against these elements. It is not required, nor spec'd in all codes but in some climates it makes most sense to use Tyvek -others not...

So your builder was part right; VB's if required go on the warm side ie the inside of your house and it makes little difference if there's VB on the inside or not...Tyvek is vapour-permeable. Why do they use Tyvek to make those white Personal Protective suits? Keeps water out but breahtes.

So some builders use Tyvek, some don't. Best ones do, no matter where they are and no matter if a VB is there or not.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky 217 View Post
I have a related question. I'm in a mixed-humid climate (Arkansas). I'm using Advantech wall Zip panels for the wall sheathing instead of typical OSB. The Zip panels have a water resistant (or maybe even waterproof) coating on the exterior side. Over the Zip panels, I'm using vinyl for siding.
Would it still be a good idea to use Tyvek or building felt between the sheathing and siding ?

Also, even with typical OSB, if you cover it with foam board, do you still need Tyvek or felt between the foam board and siding ?

the zip panels are taped at the seams,it does not require a separate wrb
make sure to use the recommended roller for the seams and follow the instructions

with typical osb there are techniques using foam as the sole wrb but you really have to know what your doing,using a separate wrb is usually easier and more forgiving,again the penetrations are your key points to get right and lap the paper the right way
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 526

Tom, if in 2000, IRC did not require a WRB on sheathing, what year did they change back to needing one, before 2009? This is news to me, I thought since my 1976 UBC it has been required.......No wonder everyone with OSB is having water problems now.....Lol What were they thinking!

http://sidingmaster.com/documents/Ne...ngmoisture.pdf

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement