New Porch Collumn - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 560

new porch collumn

I'm going to install a new collumn on my front slab probably after I do the slab surface itself. (planning on using Daisch products to do this,have some nice finishes that look like tile)
what I need to know is what kind of material should the post be made of,how should the post be attached to the concrete and where can I buy such a thing? (home depot and lowes doesn't sell 'em)
no,the post won't be bearing weight since the roof hasn't shown signs of collapsing with no post installed.
see pic
Attached Thumbnails
new porch collumn-slab1.jpg  
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Is it going to be round or square, what size are you looking. You should use a post anchor. Secure that to the concrete, I use red heads, or other concrete anchor. Secure 4x4 or larger to that and than use a fastener to your awning. I would use pressure treated for post. I would use cedar to surround it and trim to the look you want. A pic of the type of column you are looking at making would really help, to give you a better answer. If you can find it on the net. Most building/hardware stores sells this stuff.

Post Anchor

Last edited by william duffer; 03-31-2010 at 11:44 PM.
william duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

I must not have been clear. what I'm going to put there is a replacement for the post I removed (rotten) these posts are turned on a big lathe and are made for this. a regular post holder isn't appropriate.
HD and Lowes don't sell these posts.(at least HD doesn't) I've seen some on the web and only a few talk about fastening, mostly about moisture getting in and rotting the wood.(one talks about a special aluminum base to keep the post off the concrete) a few of the materials are cedar,pine ,polyethylene etc. I guess I just need to know how to attach it on the bottom once I fing one and whether I should install it before finishing the slab.

tnx,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Carpenter/Rehabber

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
I'm going to install a new collumn on my front slab probably after I do the slab surface itself. (planning on using Daisch products to do this,have some nice finishes that look like tile)
what I need to know is what kind of material should the post be made of,how should the post be attached to the concrete and where can I buy such a thing? (home depot and lowes doesn't sell 'em)
no,the post won't be bearing weight since the roof hasn't shown signs of collapsing with no post installed.
see pic
I hope you're laughing because you actually know that it wasn't supporting load (rather than just it "hasn't shown signs of collapsing").

That's an important consideration for the replacement post, seriously,

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bar/1639463646.html

I don't have a specific place to recommend for a replacement but Google does,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&e...olumns&spell=1

...maybe start here...

http://www.architecturaldepot.com/c/exterior-columns/

Who ever you go with can offer specifics on install and you should follow manufactures recommendations for installation.

Just call a couple companies that have a style that looks good to you and speak to a rep, ask questions, let them educate you a bit on different options and their pros and cons, they love that.

Then come back with more info and more specific questions, related to the column you are thinking about, and how to jack up your roof.

Last edited by moorewarner; 04-02-2010 at 05:06 AM.
moorewarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorewarner View Post
I hope you're laughing because you actually know that it wasn't supporting load (rather than just it "hasn't shown signs of collapsing").

That's an important consideration for the replacement post, seriously,

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bar/1639463646.html

I don't have a specific place to recommend for a replacement but Google does,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&e...olumns&spell=1

...maybe start here...

http://www.architecturaldepot.com/c/exterior-columns/

Who ever you go with can offer specifics on install and you should follow manufactures recommendations for installation.

Just call a couple companies that have a style that looks good to you and speak to a rep, ask questions, let them educate you a bit on different options and their pros and cons, they love that.

Then come back with more info and more specific questions, related to the column you are thinking about, and how to jack up your roof.
thanks for the concern but I'm quite sure the roof is ok mainly because the post I removed was actually loose so the roof certainly wasn't resting on it.
I'll check out those links

tnx,
Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #6

Take a 2 x 12 pressure treated lumber cut it 2 inch wider than the column. Attach that to the bottom of the column with lags, countersink them into the PT. Than put it in place and attach the PT to the concrete with red heads (concrete anchors). Put tar paper between the concrete and PT lumber. Use a high grade caulk and put a bead around the PT and concrete so water doesn't get under it. You can trim the PT with cedar and paint to hide it. This should be adequate. Always seal the bottom of the column and the PT lumber for an extra layer of protection.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #7

actually,Lowes DOES sell "porch posts" and they don't look too bad either. (and a bunch less than online too) they appear to be some sort of poly and that's good since wood posts need alot of maintenance. they come already primed ready for paint and Lowes also sells the aluminum base that goes on the concrete.

tnx,
The Following User Says Thank You to analogmusicman For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 526

http://books.google.com/books?id=fDs...age&q=&f=false

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #9

Not all Lowes sell everything I would go to there web site they can ship it to your closet store. The company that is building it for you should know or sell what you need, possibly.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by william duffer View Post
Not all Lowes sell everything I would go to there web site they can ship it to your closet store. The company that is building it for you should know or sell what you need, possibly.
they have the porch posts st this store
Old 04-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #11

Sorry forgot it was you that started the post thought it was someone else replying. That's great have fun with it. I really need to stop posting so late, I was in Dallas for the weekend and was still thinking about the visit to the Woodcraft store. Been daydreaming ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement