New Interior Doors Don't Close Properly - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Interior doors don't close properly

I'm attempting to replace all the interior doors in the house with new 6-panel hollow core doors. Since I didn't want to replace the jambs as well, I bought the slabs at HD with lockset already bored, but no hinge mortises.

I trimmed the door to correct height+width, and attempted to mortise out the hinges. I've done two doors now, and both don't close properly. When the door is near hitting the strike plate, it encounters resistance "somewhere" and becomes springy... ie: if I push it all the way and let go, it springs back. I can also see the hinges slightly lifting off the jamb when I do this.

I'm assuming this is an issue with how I mortised out the hinges, but I don't know if it's an issue of hinges being too deep/shallow, or moved too far forward/backward. I am using new hinges that match the old ones pretty closely, but the new doors are slightly thicker.

Any thoughts?
jdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like they might be mortised either too deep or too shallow. How does that look? The hinges should be perfectly flush fitting to the door edge and the jamb.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

Did you leave the 3/16" or ? of material behind the hinge leaf on the door? (material remaining) Did you put the correct beveled edge towards the strike plate? OR away from it? A 4* bevel off square so the edge of the door first contacting clears the jamb because it swings an arc into the jamb. The longer face of the door should be away from the strike side when properly installed. Measure the faces. If correct and still binding at the strike, the hinges are too shallow, remove and set deeper. Before that, check gap (1/8") at hinge side to door/jamb. Look at top (head) gap at both sides to see if door will fit, or require planing, jamb adjusting. If gap is correct, check strike jamb with straight edge, full length. Correct if needed.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

If the doors are thicker, you will need to reposition the stops to accommodate the size difference. As for the spring in the door, if the jamb and door are not parallel to one another or the mortises are not level you will get this issue.
You must have been lucky with the lock bore as these never line up and need to be bored on site to match the strike latch.
The hinge position should have been cut to match the old door.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement