New Deck Construction [Chesterfield, NJ] - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
New Deck Construction [Chesterfield, NJ]

Hi DIY team!

I'm venturing to build a deck with the following characteristics:

-427 SQFT
-24 inches from floor
-Attached to house
-Trex Composite Decking with PT framing members
-2x10 for Joists, 2x12s for Beams, 6x6 for Posts.

Please see the attached pics:

1-The post to beam connection layout
2-The post locations
3-The joist layout [I'm using flushed beams, not dropped on top of beams]
4-3D View

I'm using Lowes' deck designer application and it seems it only spits out dropped beams. My problem is that since I only have 24 inches of height my posts would short, I won't have much air flow/clearance, and if I frame with 2x8s I feel I won't have the support I need for a Pergola. I feel that with 2x10 for joists and 2x12 for beams I'm building a sturdier deck.

My questions:

1-You'll see in the post location page that I'm not evenly separating the beams vertically (i.e. first section is 9'4'', second and 3rd are 7'6''. The reason why is because if I push back the first beam towards the house I'll get only 3 posts and I need more support in the middle section where a Pergola will be built. Is this uneven separation possible? any red flags? Since I'm using 2x10s for joists I should be ok since the max span is 12' I believe. I'm also using blocking for the 9'4'' section to reinforce the area.

2-What's the minimum distance to have between a footing and the house/foundation? I'm using 1 foot of separation to be able to dig the hole and avoid any issues with the house.

3-You'll see in the post location page that the horizontal post separation is not the same as well (5'1'', 5'11', 5,11') as I need more weight support on the right. is this OK since I'm staying within the maximum span for 2x12s?

4-Do you recommend blocking for the rest of the 7'6'' sections on the joist layout page?

5-Any general corrections/suggestions?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
New Deck Construction [Chesterfield, NJ]-post-beam-connection.jpg   New Deck Construction [Chesterfield, NJ]-post-layout.jpg   New Deck Construction [Chesterfield, NJ]-joist_layout.jpg   New Deck Construction [Chesterfield, NJ]-3d-image.jpg  
Kimeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
deck , diy