New Bathroom: Remove Subfloor Or Ceiling Below? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

New bathroom: remove subfloor or ceiling below?

I am having having rough in plumbing done in a second level of my house, and I have a question regarding how best to provide access to the space in the floor so that the plumbers can run the new plumbing through the joists.

Does anyone have a suggestion about the best way to provide this access? I can either open up the plywood subfloor to approach from above, or I can open the drywall ceiling from below.

My main concerns are ease of replacement and replacement costs. I am also concerned that removing and replacing subfloor will make installing tile difficult due to leveling issues.

Any thoughts or experience welcome, thanks in advance!
Hydrocephalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Naildriver

Re: New bathroom: remove subfloor or ceiling below?

Not sure why removing subflooring would imbalance your tile installation. The one thing you will need to remember is plumbers will cut joists at random without hesitation. This can weaken your floor, SO be prepared to bridge all your joists along side the plumbing if they have to cut more than 1/3 of the way through. I would recommend doing it from above. Especially if you plan on doing a new floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 272

Make sure the plumbers show you the final fits on mock up floor sheathing. If you don't check the work on decking, you won't know if everything fits. Toilet and tub flanges, esp. Flanges must be up high enough for added thicknesses from subflooring (durock eg) and tiles. If you're not getting this inspected, I would get the rough in first, take a photo and post here for final check. Use the plumbing forum. Get that inspection, town or here, in the contract and don't pay last quarter until such inspection is done. If you don't get the contract from any plumber you call, study the art of negotiation.
I am guessing that you want to reposition the fixtures? If not, ceiling below is easier to repair, although that depends on your work/dust preps and tolerance.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,329

The correct answer probably depends on the routing of the waste pipes. They are a far bigger concern than the supply lines.

I personally would rather replace a floor than hang ceiling drywall.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

I appreciate the advice thus far! We will have to remove subfloor 18" from the wall (this distance being parallel with the joists) and a length perpendicular to the joists of about 8 feet. This would open the span that the lines from the shower drain and sink drain must traverse. The toilet will be vertical to where the lines will run through the first floor and into the crawlspace. I will add a photo of the space to make this more clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Make sure the plumbers show you the final fits on mock up floor sheathing. If you don't check the work on decking, you won't know if everything fits. Toilet and tub flanges, esp. Flanges must be up high enough for added thicknesses from subflooring (durock eg) and tiles. If you're not getting this inspected, I would get the rough in first, take a photo and post here for final check. Use the plumbing forum. Get that inspection, town or here, in the contract and don't pay last quarter until such inspection is done. If you don't get the contract from any plumber you call, study the art of negotiation.
I am guessing that you want to reposition the fixtures? If not, ceiling below is easier to repair, although that depends on your work/dust preps and tolerance.
This will be city inspected when all is said and done.

There are no fixtures at this time, just an open room.

Would it be wise to get some of the durock and tile we will use ahead of time and have that laid out on the subfloor we aren't touching, so that the plumber may place the flanges at the proper height? That seems to be the most precise way of ensuring that they get it spot on.

I'll cross post this in the plumbing forum, thank you for the suggestion!
Old 02-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Here are some photos.... White lines are the direction of the joists, red is where I will have to cut the subfloor. Toilet will be in that closet area on the left of the photo. Hopefully this clarifies my description of where I need to cut. Plumbing will run over to that closet area then straight down.
Attached Thumbnails
New bathroom: remove subfloor or ceiling below?-img_20180224_121603055_1519504281126.jpg   New bathroom: remove subfloor or ceiling below?-img_20180224_121613146_1519504303783.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement