New Bathroom Fan Install + Ducting - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 586

New bathroom fan install + ducting

I just want to make sure I'm on the right track here. i am planning on installing one of these:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

The old fan will be unwired so there is no power going to it, and dry walled over (if I can remove it I will, but that part of the attic is very tight).

I will cut my hole for the vent and put it closer to the shower, install the backdraft damper, the actual fan, and use one of these to vent it through the roof:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...Number#reviews

I was planning on using all solid duct and fittings, but the more I think of it, that attic is so tight I would have too much trouble bringing in the solid pipe pieces, and measuring. So I will most likely preassemble everything with flexduct + duct insulation then bring it up, and I'll only need to hook it up to the roof vent and the fan vent, and secure the motor to a stud, and wire the electrical. It's tight up there so I want to minimize the work that has to be done up there, and do most of the work ahead of time.

To secure the flex duct I'll be using pipe clamps, and if I need to secure the insulation I'll use vapor barrier tape. Should I also insulate the actual fan body itself? Should I maybe use another type of tape?

Also considering the air going through there is very high humidity, anything special I need to do to avoid vapor from creating frost inside the pipe,then melting and causing water to come down it? Or does it move too fast for that to happen?

Lastly, that roof vent is rather low, should I go for a chimney style one? Or will the power of the fan be able to push through the snow and melt it? If they sell these, I would hope they work properly.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

I did something similar with a different fan unit. If you use the flexible insulated duct, you won't have to insulate separately. You insulate to keep condensation from forming. Plastic zip ties and HVAC tape are used on the inside and outside membranes of the duct.

That is a pretty powerful fan too, it should be able to blast most things away.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement