New Basement Flooring On Wet/marshy Ground - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New basement flooring on wet/marshy ground

I am putting a new basement floor in because the current concrete floor is buckled and broken due to "soft wet/marshy" ground. The footings for the support beams for the house go down 4 feet to reach "hard pan" in order to support the house in this wet/marshy soil. I have the options of
1. digging out all the "soft soil" down to hard pan, then packing in gravel and adding a drainage system, then pouring concrete flooring, or
2. leaving the "soft soil" without taking it all out as above and digging sufficient sona tube holes down to hard pan to serve as the footing for the new concrete floor.
Which would you recommend? Which would be the least expensive? and Which would be the fastest?
Doug Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 912

Where did you come up with these 2 options? I feel you have a 3rd option that is probably the best. That option would be to pour a reinforced slab and let it "float" on top of the soft ground. I don't know your exact situation but I would think something like a 6" slab with #5 bar on 8" centers or something like that would be sufficient.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,572

now you know why the site asks for ' location ' as many responders have geographic knowledge that's often more helpful than others

irc
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 618

Think about this option: Dig out 1' of the marshy material and place a good geotextile (6 oz./ sq ft)over the entire area. Place a crusher run stone over the fabric and compact. Next place a #1 washed stone over the crusher run and cover with a heavy poly. Install a good poly sump and make sure there are holes in it to relieve any water that may accumulate in the washed stone. If there will be NO heavy equipment in the basement I would place #3 rebar set on 2" chairs and pour the concrete for the floor. If you have any utilities (pump, furnace, hot water tank, etc.) I would run some rebar up from the rebar grid in the floor to build concrete platforms to set them on.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement flooring , wetlands building