Need Suggestions For Leaking Basement Addition - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

Need suggestions for leaking basement addition

Hello,

My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a new home. We have found one that we really like, but had a very large negative aspect to it. Sometime in the past the old owners wanted to put an addition on it. They dug a 13'x20' basement, put in a wood foundation, cut a doorway into the current basement and then put the joists in and subfloor.

Somewhere they must have ran out of money because this is where the addition ended. They covered this with black plastic and installed a deck over the entire area to hide it. Now this bandaid has become an issue. The plastic has worn and is allowing water to seap through the subfloors and drip into the basement.

We are curious what our options are to permanently remedy this problem. We don't have the money to put the addition on.

Thanks for any advice!
Sb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,220

Wow.....off the top of my head I assume the joists and subfloor are not pressure treated? The building inspectors aside replacing joists and subfloor with pressure treated and maybe even marine grade plywood. That would give you a weather resistant surface that would barely leak. After that outdoor carpet?
Are you in a buyer or sellers market?
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Correct, the joists and subfloor are not pressure treated, just regular wood then covered in the plastic.

That was just about the only idea I came up with was to replace the subfloor with a pressure treated type and cover that with a shingle or metal roof with a very slight grade away from the house. Then put a new deck over the entire thing to cover it.
Sb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

If your going to roof the thing it doesn't need to be pressure treated. As to roofing I would think an EPDM,SBS or APP would be your best bet. Do the current owners have equity in the house? If so you could aim for cash back at closing to deal with the mess.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #5

Upon further review you want to be sure that unfinished project isn't a legal issue.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 469

If it truly has a wood foundation and not concrete block walls and its holding back backfill I would turn around and run, There are a lot of codes on a wood foundation that need to be followed to keep it from self destructing. If this is a addition that's not holding back dirt that's a different story
Jnaas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement