Need A Good Efflorescence Remover - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By chikitin
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 06-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 86
Default

Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Hi,

I need a good Efflorescence Remover. I checked online. None of them have good reviews. Should I just buy one and apply it in the crawlspace.


Any help would be much appreciated.
chikitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 35,905
Rewards Points: 15,466
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Quote:
Originally Posted by chikitin View Post
Hi,

I need a good Efflorescence Remover. I checked online. None of them have good reviews. Should I just buy one and apply it in the crawlspace.


Any help would be much appreciated.
It is just the salts that was in the concrete and does not hurt anything.
MarkSindone and chikitin like this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
https://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...6/chapter7.pdf
figure 7-14
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 86
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Thank you.
chikitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-29-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 9,011
Rewards Points: 26
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


I've only removed efflorescence when prepping for paint. I agree it poses no problem if left alone although you might want to stop the water from the outside. Efflorescence is caused by moisture passing thru masonry.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 86
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
I've only removed efflorescence when prepping for paint. I agree it poses no problem if left alone although you might want to stop the water from the outside. Efflorescence is caused by moisture passing thru masonry.
Awesome. Yes, moister possesses thru the concrete blocks below the masonry. I am not sure why all the companies want to just insulate inside and charge me 15k-20K. They don't want to address water coming from outside. They just want to do this:

1. Put a sump pump
2. vaper barrier and seal to above vents
3. remove all the insulation
chikitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 35,905
Rewards Points: 15,466
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Quote:
Originally Posted by chikitin View Post
Awesome. Yes, moister possesses thru the concrete blocks below the masonry. I am not sure why all the companies want to just insulate inside and charge me 15k-20K. They don't want to address water coming from outside. They just want to do this:

1. Put a sump pump
2. vaper barrier and seal to above vents
3. remove all the insulation
They didn't tell you that if you do that you have to condition the space too.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
https://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...6/chapter7.pdf
figure 7-14
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 86
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
They didn't tell you that if you do that you have to condition the space too.
Yes. I forgot... I told me to put a dehumidifier.
Nealtw likes this.
chikitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 35,905
Rewards Points: 15,466
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Quote:
Originally Posted by chikitin View Post
Yes. I forgot... I told me to put a dehumidifier.
No after all done an encapsulated crawl space needs AC and or heat year round. It become included in the homes envelope.
mark sr likes this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
https://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...6/chapter7.pdf
figure 7-14
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 86
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
No after all done an encapsulated crawl space needs AC and or heat year-round. It become included in the homes envelope.
None of 6 contractors who visited my house has told me that. I have seen videos about using AC in the crawlspace.
My AC air ducts and air handlers are in the attic. Not sure if this is possible in my house.
chikitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 9,011
Rewards Points: 26
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


They should be able to run duct down thru a closet to service the crawlspace.
Personally I'm not a fan of enclosed crawlspaces. Locally foundation vents work well.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 AM   #11
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 35,905
Rewards Points: 15,466
Default

Re: Need a good Efflorescence Remover


Quote:
Originally Posted by chikitin View Post
None of 6 contractors who visited my house has told me that. I have seen videos about using AC in the crawlspace.
My AC air ducts and air handlers are in the attic. Not sure if this is possible in my house.
Stay with the vented crawlspace. Just imagine the moisture in the house if you ever had another flood.



A friend had that with the furnace and water in the crawlspace so that kept it warm in the winter but for the summer we had to put powered vents in. The smell would drift up in the house and they hadn't run AC down there.
https://aerindustries.com/blog/2018/...ated%2C%20too.

A conditioned crawl space is hermetically sealed from outdoor air and its conditioning is a part of the house HVAC system. Conditioned crawl space includes a ground completely covered with a vapor barrier, with the barrier's seams and junctions as well. Its band joist and foundation walls are usually insulated, too.Dec 27, 2018
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
https://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...6/chapter7.pdf
figure 7-14

Last edited by Nealtw; 06-30-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts