Necessary Docs For Contractor Bids - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By AndyGump
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer

Old 07-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 364

Necessary docs for contractor bids

Hi all! So... I'm a bit of a dork. Some of you may recall that I am wanting to replace a large deck on my small mountain cabin. I figured that I would call some local contractors and ask them to bid a new deck. I didn't get very far. Didn't realize I would need architectural plans, engineering calcs, etc., in order to get accurate bids. My bad. I should have known.... elevated deck, seismic area. Alright then, I hired a designer and I should have docs some time next week. Excellent.

What I am wondering... the bidding process.
I figure that I should put together a package of material for the contractors I request bids from. Will I just be making smaller copies from the relevant bond prints of drawings/specifications/scope docs? Do most folks request pdf files of these docs from the designer so they can easily print out copies for a package of material used to solicit bids?

Just want to be prepared when I meet with contractors
Any insight/advice is appreciated!
Kory Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 880
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Re: Necessary docs for contractor bids

Just let the contractors have access to the plans and let them do their own take-off of materials.

Andy.
Kory Beam likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #3

Thanks, Andy. Sorry... noob here with the process and terms.
By package of material, I was referring to me supplying contractors with a sort of packet that contains copies of the plan & relevant docs for them to take with them to use to put a bid together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I don't see why you would need anything other than the plans/drawings.
Kory Beam likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 308

Each bidder should be furnished with the Plans & Specifications.
Plans would indicate size of site , Height , spacing , shape & general lay out of project. Specifications would include scope of work & general conditions. Specifications would indicate items to be used to complete the project as per plans. Specifications will also include type of wood , fasteners , brackets , concrete type to include the PSI , ASTM standards for materials to be used.

Also included would be a starting date & completion date , any changes to plans & spec. must be approved by owner in writting.

If each contractor bases his pricing on the same plans & Spec. the pricing should be very close. If you get three bids use the avg. see which contractors price is the closes to the avg.
Kory Beam likes this.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,110

With my last big project that needed a set of drawings I ended up wanting more copies than first requested. These were full size blueprints. Going to any sort of copy company to get additional copies was against the law, copyright issue. The architect actually owned the rights to my plan. They would make more copies for me at $100 per set.

Now I hope your deck design is less involved but from your description you might want to check to see if additional copies are going to be a $ issue.

Along with the specifications and other issues mentioned be sure they will all have full insurance for all workers they bring onto the sit. No excuses about using subs who carry their own insurance you need certificates covering everyone.

Bud
Kory Beam likes this.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

Thanks, guys. So copies of plans/drawings and specs.
Just looking to put together a sort of packet so contractors/bidders end up with relevant info and I end up with apples to apples bids.
I've never worked with blueprints/bond prints... I believe they are large-ish, and I was wondering how they are copied and printed smaller so that I can put a package together for bids. Maybe pdf files from my designer...
Old 07-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 8,110

My use of the term "blueprint" is a giveaway as to how long ago that was. Today I suspect most things are electronic and digital, but ask to be sure. As for copying large docs, if allowed the print shops will all have machines to handle that.

One note of caution, the more detailed you get with your request the fewer bids you will get and the higher those bids will be. It happens.

Bud
Kory Beam likes this.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #9

Ouch, Bud. $100 per set? Hmm. I suppose that is pretty much what I was getting at.
My contract states-
Reimbursable Expenses:
Plotting of bond prints at $6.00 per set.
2 sets of engineering calcs.: $12.00

So... I know I am getting bond prints, but figured that you don't hand those large suckers over to contractors to take to bid upon... I figured I would have to make some smaller copies.
I will have to ask my designer, as I don't want to be copying things I shouldn't. He just takes a while to get back to me and often don't address my question in his answer...

Last edited by Kory Beam; 07-06-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 308

If your plans & Specs. were drawn by a local Architect than there should be a blue printing company in your area they can print copies any size if they are smaller than original make sure they are stamped REDUCED DRAWING. The same company will print the Specs.
Also in the package you would be wise to include a SAMPLE CONTRACT this is also available from the printing company.
Kory Beam likes this.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #11

Blue printing company that is furnishing me with bond prints is an hour and a half away in next city. An easy drive for copies, should I need them. I'm sure they could FedEx me anything as long as I am paying. I'll see what the designer thinks.
Appreciate the responses and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement