Nails For Simpons Connectors - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

Nails for Simpons connectors

Ok this maybe a very novice question but I am confused at what nails to use for Simpson post holders where they call for a 12-16D nail 2.5 inches long, I couldn't find a nail that size anywhere except for the specialized Simpsons ones which no one carries.

Also what is the recommened nail size for nailing the board to the joist hanger (not the flanges).
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Go to www.strongtie.com for answers to all your hardware questions as well as supplier lists. The big box stores typically carry Simpson nails in my area. If not there is no shortage of smaller suppliers to get them from.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
dIYHell

Went to home depot and called all the hardware specialtly stores, none of them carried the 2.5" simpson nails (it was a special order) or any other nail that was 2.5" 12-16d. It can't be that difficult? Looking for what others use to nail holders into 4X4 posts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

Others may not be in the same high seismic area as you are. As suggested by ARI001, go to Simpson for the particulars: http://www.strongtie.com/products/ca...ost_bases.html Notice that some bases can use nails or screws or bolts and are approved for LA. Give a quick call to your local Building Department, what others may use doesn't pertain to your area.
If you are doing a remodel, I found this interesting: http://www.oaklandnet.com/documents/...icstrength.pdf
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Gary, you come up with some of the NEATEST reading and documentation! Thanks!
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

You don't have to use the 2-1/2" nail unless your lumber thickness limits the nail length. A full length nail of the same diameter is totally acceptable. Most of their nails are supposed to be commons, not box nails...That is in the fine print. Get a 16d common and you'll be in good shape.

Not sure exactly which connectors you're using, but a common mistake when using basic double-shear joist hangers is to use 1-1/2" 10d nails in the toenail portion of the hanger. Can't do that...It reduces the load carrying capacity substantially! You've got to use the full length 10d.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...rs/LUS-HUS.asp
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
dIYHell

Ok I think I finally get it, All the references to the Simpons website I finally found the definative information on what nails to use http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalogs/S-INSTALL06-R.pdf thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement