Nailer For Hardiplank - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM  

Rewards Points: 165

Nailer for Hardiplank

I want to side a shed with hardiplank, the 8" cedarmill stuff and don't think I'm up to hand nailing. HD has these compressor and nailer combos that include a 16 gage finish nailer. Though this type of nail is not an approved installation method, I had a 400 sf addition built 10 years ago and the builder installed the siding and used finished nails, top and bottom of the plank, and it worked fine. Will this setup allow me to do the same thing, drive through the hardiplank with galvanized finish nails? Are there nailers that will drive the recommended 2" siding nail and will they work with this compressor?

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-PC3Pak-Finish-Stapler-Compressor/dp/B003YL4O4U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337548657&sr=8-4

Last edited by smata67; 05-20-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 05:58 PM  

Rewards Points: 172

The compressor will but that gun wont.
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/insta...eplank-hz5.pdf
I use use roofing nails shot with a coil nailer if bind nailing.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 07:14 PM  
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67
I want to side a shed with hardiplank, the 8" cedarmill stuff and don't think I'm up to hand nailing. HD has these compressor and nailer combos that include a 16 gage finish nailer. Though this type of nail is not an approved installation method, I had a 400 sf addition built 10 years ago and the builder installed the siding and used finished nails, top and bottom of the plank, and it worked fine. Will this setup allow me to do the same thing, drive through the hardiplank with galvanized finish nails? Are there nailers that will drive the recommended 2" siding nail and will they work with this compressor?

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-PC3Pak-Finish-Stapler-Compressor/dp/B003YL4O4U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337548657&sr=8-4
You cannot use finish nails for siding....plain and simple! The hack who did it to your house is a fool..
Tom Struble (05-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
You cannot use finish nails for siding....plain and simple! The hack who did it to your house is a fool..
He was much worse than a fool, many four letter words come to mind to describe him, but the HP install looks as nice as the day it was hung. Though not among the recommended installation practices, it seems to work and the finish nailer is significantly cheaper if one does not have a siding nailer already.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM  

Rewards Points: 18,376

Just get over the idea of using a finish nailer for that job. Not even close to the right way to do it.
I use a Bostich coil siding nailer. Check at Home Depot they may even rent one.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 PM  
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67

He was much worse than a fool, many four letter words come to mind to describe him, but the HP install looks as nice as the day it was hung. Though not among the recommended installation practices, it seems to work and the finish nailer is significantly cheaper if one does not have a siding nailer already.
Then you rent one. You are not reinventing the wheel here. It's the wring nail. Your siding won't last the time it should. Two wrongs don't make a right. Rent the right gun and do it right.

If not......use a finish mailer and do the wrong thing and stop trying to convince yourself over the intrtnet. No one here us going to tell you its right. Just do it and get it over with....
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 AM  

Rewards Points: 626

Get a roofing gun and two inch roofing nails you will be fine.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 AM  

Actually, I'm not sure that the builder didn't use siding nails, as it is blind nailed. He did use finish nails along the bottom edge and that is exposed. Don't want to give the impression that finish nails work, as it may not have been done that way.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 AM  
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post
Actually, I'm not sure that the builder didn't use siding nails, as it is blind nailed. He did use finish nails along the bottom edge and that is exposed. Don't want to give the impression that finish nails work, as it may not have been done that way.
Really? You were sure in your first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post
I had a 400 sf addition built 10 years ago and the builder installed the siding and used finished nails, top and bottom of the plank,
Now you're not sure? This whole thread is based on what you said in your first post, now you change your mind.

Maybe he used the right nails that are blind nailed and used a finish nail on the bottom. The bottom line is that you don't use finish nails to nail this type of siding up. You have been told the correct nail to use. If you don't want to rent the right nail gun, then just buy roofing nails and nail by hand, it's that simple!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 AM  
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,166

you will be seriously lacking in holding power if using trim nails for hardie. a trim nail can be used to nail the seam joints if they are floppy. if your shed is 8 by 8 or something small then spiral, galvanized 8d siding nails is probably your best bet, face nailed or blind nailed to the hardie or if the structure is larger consider renting a pneumatic air nailer for instillation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement