My Deck Rebuild Progress - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree32Likes

Old 08-05-2017, 07:29 PM  
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,818

My deck rebuild progress

When we bought our house the previous owner built (or had built) a 10x20 foot deck off the back.

I was never happy with it. The deck post and framing was an anomaly 2x4s and 2x10s. The decking itself were 1x4s which were not shoddily installed. Nothing was to code.

How the thing stayed up is a miracle

A few weeks ago I tore the whole mess down and started over following code.

I changed the post layout from 8-4x4s (not code) to 6-6x6s. Using a 2-man auger, I drilled the holes to a little over 24" deep after which six inches of gravel was put in. The post were installed using Sakrete fast setting concrete. This eliminated the need to pre-mix or use bracing as the concrete sets quickly and the posts can be nailed on in about 30-40 minutes.

The following weekend I cut the posts to height and notched them. This took some work. Since my circular saw does not cut deep to reach the half way point, I cut the four sides and then finished with a hand saw.

I screwed 2x10s together to form the beams placing a row of screws every 16" on both sides (I could kiss the person who invented the impact driver). The beams were bolted to the posts using 1/2" bolts.

Today I began laying the 2x8 joists on top of the beams. I did not get an early a start as I would have liked since I lost time turning over the stack at HD trying to find 22 good pieces of lumber, the hangers and hurricane ties.

I measured out the hangers on a 2x8 and nailed them on. I then layed it on the beam and attached a joist on each end and one in the middle. This was no easy feat as this end of the deck is almost 8-feet high. I prepared another 2x8 with hangers and using two ladders for supports attached it to the other end of the joists. Once everything was attached I pushed the whole frame back until it met the house and made sure it was square. I then began placing the remaining joists on this segment. I should have measured them before lifting them in place. One was longer than the others which created some issues. I had to change it out for another. Once they were all placed I finished nailing them through the joist hangers.

I attached hurricane ties to one end and began nailing them in but had to stop for the day. My hand began cramping badly (arthritis related) as I was nailing them and I was unable to continue swinging the hammer.

Since I do not have to go buy anything tomorrow, I hope to get an early start and finish installing the joists.

To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 08:41 AM  

Rewards Points: 6,508

Re: My deck rebuild progress

Where are the pictures ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 AM  

Rewards Points: 38

Sounds great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 03:21 PM  
Big Dog

I got the last of the joists installed today. Here is the progress in chronological order.

Batter boards and strings laid out for the post locations.

6x6x10 posts in place. That is 15 bags of concrete holding those.

Posts cut, notched and doubled-up 2x10 beams in place.

All the joists installed.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:34 PM  
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,094

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Page 15 deals with attaching ledger to an overhang. May be OK with local code, but wanted to throw some stuff in your gear works before Monday started. Sorry.

You may be OK with the post an beam if the inspector says so, however.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:38 PM  

Rewards Points: 708

For a free standing deck like that, I would be using sway braces at the corner posts and a line (or 2) of blocking between joists at a 45 degree angle to reduce motion.
Maybe even a line of blocking above each beam between joists to prevent them from rolling. Every little bit helps.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:41 PM  
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Page 15 deals with attaching ledger to an overhang. May be OK with local code, but wanted to throw some stuff in your gear works before Monday started. Sorry.

You may be OK with the post an beam if the inspector says so, however.

Looks like the ledger is used for lateral bracing this way.
Only problem is that if the posts rot at the bottoms, the ledger board and overhang will be taking the load.
chandler48 likes this.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:21 PM  
Big Dog

Local code will not allow attaching a deck to an overhang, nor can it be attached to brick facing or lattice beam. I know the picture looks like the beam joist is attached to the overhang, but it is just butted up against the siding. The deck is free-floating.

Local code also does not require knee or diagonal bracing on a deck below 8 feet. This one is only 7-feet at its highest and only on one end at that. Still, I am giving serious thought to adding diagonal bracing nonetheless. You cannot see it in the photos but there are hurricane ties on both sides of the beams which adds to its strength.

Right now I am concentrating on getting all the heavy stuff out of the way. This coming Saturday I will be laying down the 5/4 decking and if I am lucky the 4x4 rail posts weather permitting.

I am going to probably have to buy another 1/2" bit for the posts. I bought a Bosch bit when I was drilling the holes for the beams. Using my DeWalt corded drill, I got about 4 or 5 holes drilled before the bits performance noticeably degraded. The last few holes took a lot longer as the bit and the drill was beginning to heat up forcing me to go slower. I was rather surprised as I have bought Bosch before and it performed well.
123pugsy and chandler48 like this.

Last edited by Drachenfire; 08-06-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:29 PM  
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,156

Good stuff. It looked attached.

I would go with the diagonals for sure. Codes are minimal requirements.
chandler48 likes this.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM  
Big Dog

Started working on the decking this weekend.

Word if advice, Lowe's lumber is junk. They advertise their "Top Choice" as having fewer knots. What is not advertised is that out of a bundle of lumber, less than half are fully usable. The rest have cracks and severely marred edges.

I went to Home Depot and while the lumber is somewhat better I still had to move who knows how many boards to find the 47 pieces I needed.

This morning I installed the cross-bracing (orange).

They have been notched to accept 2-2x4s inboard of the cross-brace ends. The purpose of this configuration is to accommodate the decking pattern I am using.

I set the center boards and began laying the horizontal ones but had to stop.

The heat index is over 90 degrees and humidity is near 100%. I was sweating so badly that my shirt and hat had saturated to the point they were dripping and I could not keep the sweat out of my eyes. Besides we have thunderstorms coming through and I did not want to get caught with scrambling to pack up tools before the rains came.

Tomorrow the weather is clearer and the humidity lower so I should be able to complete the decking.
SPS-1 and jlhaslip like this.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:34 PM  
Big Dog

Well the weather cooperated today, sunny with a high of 81 and the humidity dropped to 67%.

After 6 hours and 650+ screws, the decking is on. I have two pieces I need to trim against the house but I have to prepare for work tomorrow so those will get done later in the week.

I was cycling between 2 impact drivers, an 18v and a 20v along with 2 batteries each.

I am glad I had the 2 drivers as one battery was running down before the other was charged. I have no idea how much longer it would have taken to complete the decking if I had to wait for batteries to charge.

Now I am going to have a stiff drink (I think I deserve it) and a long shower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drachenfire For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-13-2017), jlhaslip (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 PM  
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,094

Looks GREAT !! I know it was a lot of work. At least you had good weather to do it in.
123pugsy likes this.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:01 PM  
Big Dog

Thanks. The cooperating weather made things somewhat easier.

Wish I could say the same for my body. My hands are still smarting from the impact driver vibration and my knees are red where they were rubbing on my jeans.

Still, despite the pain it feels good to see the deck taking shape to the point I can actually walk on it.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 AM  
Big Dog

Today was a bit slow at work so I started doing some calculations.

So far on my deck I have driven 800 nails, 892 screws and 16-half-inch bolts.

It breaks down this way;
Joist hangers (at rim joist) – 144 1 ” nails
Joists (securing to the hangers) – 96 3” nails
Hurricane ties – 560 1 ” nails
Beams – 224 3” screws
Beams (secure to posts) – 16 - 8x bolts
Decking – 652 3” screws

I still have the railing posts and balusters to install which works out to;
Posts – 26 ” bolts
Balusters – 356 2 ” screws

This kinda puts a perspective on how much goes into building a deck.

My wife teases me on all the "screwing around" I have been doing.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:37 AM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,124

So how are you dealing with the stubs from the old deck. I could read more but I am lazy and it seems you have lots of time to answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement