Is My Architect Wrong About Load Bearing Walls? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 08-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

Is my architect wrong about load bearing walls?

We just bought a house in Florida. There is a wall we want to remove which I thought was likely load bearing. We had an architect and check and they said it wasn't load bearing and safe to remove.

Details:
Single story late 50's concrete block house. Fisk trusses with king post 24" apart. The maximum span of the trusses is 27' 8" and the wall we are looking to remove is almost exactly in the middle of the span. It just seemed like the wall should be load bearing?

The architect did say the internal walls at the east and west ends of the house are load bearing. It's a hip roof so is it possible the trusses at the ends require extra support, but the trusses in the middle don't? That doesn't make sense to me, so I thought I'd ask if I'm being paranoid or if the architect might be wrong on this one.
onthecase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,180

Re: Is my architect wrong about load bearing walls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecase View Post
We just bought a house in Florida. There is a wall we want to remove which I thought was likely load bearing. We had an architect and check and they said it wasn't load bearing and safe to remove.

Details:
Single story late 50's concrete block house. Fisk trusses with king post 24" apart. The maximum span of the trusses is 27' 8" and the wall we are looking to remove is almost exactly in the middle of the span. It just seemed like the wall should be load bearing?

The architect did say the internal walls at the east and west ends of the house are load bearing. It's a hip roof so is it possible the trusses at the ends require extra support, but the trusses in the middle don't? That doesn't make sense to me, so I thought I'd ask if I'm being paranoid or if the architect might be wrong on this one.
You are good to go and the one under the other end maybe. And you can tell by looking at it, the hip roof is all tied to one rafter that will be different than the rest and may be actually 2 ply then it too would be self supporting. Your center wall may have been built has a bearing wall so that they could have used rafter construction and they went the extra mile.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,115

Probably being paranoid, but that is a good thing. It shows you are thinking. Based on

Quote:
The architect did say the internal walls at the east and west ends of the house are load bearing. It's a hip roof so is it possible the trusses at the ends require extra support,
I tend to agree with him.

Let's talk about your security feelings. Did he give you that information in a written report? Is he actually licensed? Better yet is he a structural engineer practicing as an architect?

With a written report from a licensed individual I would have no qualms about proceeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Engineer

Rewards Points: 182

I can't see what's in your house but a truss which spans the whole way is cheaper and better than a truss with a bearing wall running down the middle. Chances are your architect is correct.
(239) 848-6675
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6
Thumbs up

I appreciate your replies. Thank you.

The architect is a family friend. Fully qualified and licensed, but now retired. Amazing how a piece of paper with a signature on it makes people (like me) "feel" so much more secure.

The previous owners had the house built and they said they told the builders to go the extra mile to make sure the roof was extra sturdy. (Glad I'm not the only paranoid person in the world).

Thank you all again.
onthecase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecase View Post
I appreciate your replies. Thank you.

The architect is a family friend. Fully qualified and licensed, but now retired. Amazing how a piece of paper with a signature on it makes people (like me) "feel" so much more secure.

The previous owners had the house built and they said they told the builders to go the extra mile to make sure the roof was extra sturdy. (Glad I'm not the only paranoid person in the world).

Thank you all again.
With trusses you can always take a picture and drop around to the nearest supplier, they can answer questions at a glance.
onthecase likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
architect , engineer , load bearing , roof , trusses