Multi Level Stem Wall Addition - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Multi Level Stem Wall Addition

Hello All,

First post so bear with me.

I am adding an 11x22 addition to my house and ran into a problem while framing the footings. The addition is on the Gable end of my house and My house is a raised foundation. The addition will span the house and the garage but the garage is a slab foundation which means the stem wall that I am pouring to match up to has two different elevations. The difference in the elevations is about 11 inches.

Now that you have the scenario, here is my question: Do I pour my stem wall to match the lower (garage slab) stem wall foundation? Or, do I pour my new stem wall to match the higher stem wall and just match it up to the side of my garage.

Obviously if I pour to the side of my garage, I will frame it in and insulate it from moisture and weather.

I will try and take pictures in a bit but I hope I explained it well enough to get the conversation started. I would really appreciate any help.

Jake
Jwlerza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,266

Re: Multi Level Stem Wall Addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwlerza2 View Post
Hello All,

First post so bear with me.

I am adding an 11x22 addition to my house and ran into a problem while framing the footings. The addition is on the Gable end of my house and My house is a raised foundation. The addition will span the house and the garage but the garage is a slab foundation which means the stem wall that I am pouring to match up to has two different elevations. The difference in the elevations is about 11 inches.

Now that you have the scenario, here is my question: Do I pour my stem wall to match the lower (garage slab) stem wall foundation? Or, do I pour my new stem wall to match the higher stem wall and just match it up to the side of my garage.

Obviously if I pour to the side of my garage, I will frame it in and insulate it from moisture and weather.

I will try and take pictures in a bit but I hope I explained it well enough to get the conversation started. I would really appreciate any help.

Jake
I think for protection from water near the driveway it would bring it up some, if I understand it right. But the shape of the future landscape should dictate too.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #3

Ok don't judge all the shady stuff going on with electrical and plumbing because I am fixing the original homeowners mess. But here are some pictures: The garage is on the right and the raised foundation for the main house is on the left. I will be pouring the new stem wall to match the sub floor of the main house (on the left).

One of the pictures shows the step down and one of them shows the string line for the "proposed" new stem wall.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Multi Level Stem Wall Addition-20180625_202952_1529986995370.jpg   Multi Level Stem Wall Addition-20180625_203330_1529987019533.jpg   Multi Level Stem Wall Addition-20180625_203427_1529987036022.jpg   Multi Level Stem Wall Addition-20180625_203015_1529987051696.jpg   Multi Level Stem Wall Addition-20180625_203401_1529987079868.jpg  

Multi Level Stem Wall Addition-20180625_203157_1529987110465.jpg  

Last edited by Jwlerza2; 06-26-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
retired framer

@Jwlerza2 With the stairs from the man door to the garage you don't have an elevation problem, I would just match the garage and build a pony wall and that will allow to put venting in lower.

Where I live the crawlspace would be 5' below the joists.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #5

So that door and stairs will be gone in the future, just fyi.

My buddy, who is a GC, said I should pour to the higher stem wall to match the main house elevation. Then a ledger will span the width of the new addition and hold the joists. Since the stem walls are so far above grade, it shouldn't be a problem right?

My plan is to pin/dowel the new stem wall I am pouring to the existing garage stem wall (which will abut perpendicular on the right of the pictures) and the will leave 10-12 inches of the new pour above it, almost free floating. Thoughts? Am I explaining this correctly?

Last edited by Jwlerza2; 06-26-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:09 AM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
So that door and stairs will be gone in the future, just fyi.

My buddy, who is a GC, said I should pour to the higher stem wall. Then a ledger will run the width of the new addition and hold the joists. Since the stem walls are so far above grade, it shouldn't be a problem right?

My plan is to pin/dowel the new stem wall I am pouring to the existing garage stone wall (which abut perpendicular on the right of the picture) and the will leave 10-12 inches above it, almost free floating. Thoughts? Am I explaining this correctly?
I would take that lower level across the front and 2 ft around the corner, we try never to change the look across the front. except for the garage.
Exterior door on the front, no?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:13 AM   #7

I would take that lower level across the front and 2 ft around the corner, we try never to change the look across the front. except for the garage.
Exterior door on the front, no?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand your suggestion NealTW. Can you elaborate?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:18 AM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Exterior door on the front, no?

I'm not sure I understand your suggestion NealTW. Can you elaborate?[/QUOTE]
Garage wall level 11 ft across the front then another 2 ft toward the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement