Mold On T&G Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tstex

Old 03-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,150

mold on T&G ceiling

Hello to all,

We have an outside covered kitchen w a 22' x 34' T&G cedar ceiling, that had 5 coats of polyurethane applied before it was installed.

Enclosed is a pic w ph that I zoomed in to take a pic of mold on one side and one side already cleaned. I used a soft microfiber mop w handle and 409 to remove.

Is there anything I can do proactively to help prevent mold or the like? Ceiling was installed in Nov 2014, and this is the first time I had to clean it.

If you have any questions, pls let me know? I did appreciate your help and feedback, tstex
Attached Thumbnails
mold on T&G ceiling-ceiling-mold.jpg  
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

Re: mold on T&G ceiling

Any insulation the the cavities?

Any venting of the cavities?

Any heat-producing appliances directly below area?

Or outdoor sink or hot tub, etc. with water?

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

Here's another shot of the ceiling to better give you an idea of the layout - thanks
Attached Thumbnails
mold on T&G ceiling-ceiling-t-g.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 992

You may have sealed the wood before it had a chance to dry completely.

Edit - Just saw your second post. Nice set-up. Gary's comments make sense.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
Any insulation the the cavities?

Any venting of the cavities?

Any heat-producing appliances directly below area?

Or outdoor sink or hot tub, etc. with water?

Gary
Gary, no insulation at all, just the framing above ceiling, the, composition shingles. All of the soffits have breathing holes in them

One gas grill on the N side, in which a South breeze is predominant 11.75 months of the year.

Yes on sink, it is just left of the gas-grill, and there is a pool and spa...both of the water bodies are S of the summer kitchen...
Old 03-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
You may have sealed the wood before it had a chance to dry completely.

Edit - Just saw your second post. Nice set-up. Gary's comments make sense.
Thank you len - the T&G cedar planks were fully cured before the sealer was applied...the mold comes off of the sealer/polyurethane after about 3-4 passes. I stood on the ground w micro-fiber attachment, sprayed 8-10 shots of 409, then did 2 planks of 18 ft, then applied more 409 and did it on the other side...it took me 2.5 hrs and it was taxing...looking for something to put on outside as a preventative, if possible...I do not want to do this again...
Old 03-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 18,384

Is that a gas fireplace? If so they put out a ton of moisture, no insulation, moisture, there's going to be mold.
Google "Wet and Forget"
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is that a gas fireplace? If so they put out a ton of moisture, no insulation, moisture, there's going to be mold.
Google "Wet and Forget"
Oop's, I forgot to mention the fireplace. Yes, it has a gas jet, but I only use that for lighting the oak firewood. The wood I use is bark-less and almost burns like coal - very cured and old wood.

I did not even light a fire this entire yr [fall/summer of 2016 or any "winter of 2017]. It was never cold enough, or at least when I was around.

Yes, I have a gal of un opened Wet&Forget. I am getting ready to spray my entire back patio area [tumbled travertine] bc of the mold in the cracks and crevices...just need to wait until the application time [no immediate rain and fairly cool so it won't evaporate too quickly]. Thanks Joe
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Thank you len - the T&G cedar planks were fully cured before the sealer was applied...the mold comes off of the sealer/polyurethane after about 3-4 passes. I stood on the ground w micro-fiber attachment, sprayed 8-10 shots of 409, then did 2 planks of 18 ft, then applied more 409 and did it on the other side...it took me 2.5 hrs and it was taxing...looking for something to put on outside as a preventative, if possible...I do not want to do this again...
So the mould is on the surface of the finish. Weird. Others have suggestions - I'm at a loss - I don't think we'd ever encounter that with our climate. I'll bet you don't want to do it again. That type of overhead work would cripple me. Good luck
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
So the mould is on the surface of the finish. Weird. Others have suggestions - I'm at a loss - I don't think we'd ever encounter that with our climate. I'll bet you don't want to do it again. That type of overhead work would cripple me. Good luck
Thanks len - we've had no winter and prob going right into summer...maybe all the warm and humid weather is the cause. BUt, we do have a pool and spa S of the structure and the prevailing winds are always coming from the S., so as stated, that makes sense.

I wonder if some kind of waxing would do the trick? So far no takers. I am going to use the wet & forget as Joe suggested on the travertine floor...it's been on the "To do" list for quite sometime...

Thanks again, tex
lenaitch likes this.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 8

I live in the same area. It's humidity from heck around here. Winter or Summer we have to deal with it. I think that on dewy mornings you have moisture from the air collecting on the slick and sealed ceiling surface that's causing the mold. Just like on the side of your house. I have a covered deck and it's so bad some days it collects into little drops of water and falls down to the floor just like a light rain. If you have a ceiling fan there to move some air, the moisture probably would not form on the ceiling.
PoolServicesCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement