Mold On Interior Of New Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Mold on Interior of New roof

Hi all. First post......

We had a new roof put on in November (just two months ago) by a local contractor-supposedly very reputable. Decent size job. Cost around $9K.

During the install, there was a ton of rain. At first, they didn't even tarp the roof, leaving the roofing underlayment (but not the plywood) exposed. When we complained, they came and tarped the entire roof. It continued to rain for a couple more days. When we went into the attic to check on the condition of things, we noticed that water had seeped in and there were significant spots of wetness on the plywood that had seeped through and were clearly visible on the interior of the roof. Worse at the seems, and spread out from there. We took a couple videos at the time.

We talked to the contractor about it, and they assured us that it was "ok," that it would dry, and there would be no problems with it-and if there were, they'd stand behind it (they've been in business a long time, so I think we're going to be OK if this needs to be remediated).

So we allowed the installation to continue. They began to put down the shingles on a pretty wet deck, and after another scramble where we verified directly with the manufacturer of the underlayment that it was OK to do so (put the shingles on a wet deck), the roof was completed.

Anyway, fast forward two months. Went up into the attic today to check on things, and found mold growing all over the new plywood (actually particle board), and it appears that there is still wetness in areas on the old plywood (that wasn't replaced) in areas that we had pointed out as being problematic in the first place during the installation.

Attached below is a pic of the mold.

Wondering what steps you would all take in this situation? Should the contractor be held responsible for the mold at this point? And what needs to be done to remediate the situation completely and properly? How serious an issue is this?

Thanks to all for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Mold on Interior of New roof-20150130_191952.jpg  
metsno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to metsno1 For This Useful Post:
more1best-homes (02-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

By your nic I'm gonna guess you're located in the northeast, perhaps NY state. This kind of question is related to weather and shoulda been the first thing you listed in your profile. So, where is the house?

I wouldn't be very happy at their laziness, do you think they would have done the same if it was their own house? I'm not a roofer but depending on your location and the roof's ventilation is what will determine on how fast it dries. Obviously the tarpaper didn't do it's job in the first place. Maybe it was torn.

Too late now you've got mold. It may not really matter as long as the deck isn't weak.

BTW, that's OSB not particle board. Particle board would never work for this application.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,384

There is no plywood or particle board on that roof, it's OSB. for your own info.
Extremely poor decision on there part to not tarp the roof.
Very mild case of mold from what that picture shows.
Contractor says he will back it then let him pay for a real exterminator to come in and spray it with Bora Care with mold control.
May take him a 1/2 hour.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Ha...good guess, and 100% correct. We're just outside of Rochester, NY.

Oh, that's right. It's OSB. My bad....we definitely diy'ers, but remembering what things are called is not my absolute best forte!!

Last edited by metsno1; 01-30-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

What about the fact that the parts of the roof that we were concerned about being wet during the installation are actually still wet two months later? Any issues with that? Or will that just naturally dry as the nicer, warmer weather approaches (eventually)?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,384

Wish you the best, but how is sheathing going to dry out with tar paper and shingles over it, plus freezing temperatures? Wet sheathing can make the shingles blister.
I'd be getting something in writing from that contractor warrantying it for at least 5 years for materials and labor.
The tar paper and shingles are to keep moisture out, does not work both ways.
Trying to reroof a house in your area in Nov. was just a very bad idea!
Hard time of year for roofers in that area, they where just looking for a few bucks to get them through the off season would be my guess.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsno1
What about the fact that the parts of the roof that we were concerned about being wet during the installation are actually still wet two months later? Any issues with that? Or will that just naturally dry as the nicer, warmer weather approaches (eventually)?
Sometimes when OSB gets wet it discolors and can appear wet, when actually it's not. Most OSB used on roofing and as sheathing has a weather rating that allows it to be exposed to moisture for a certain period of time. Ideally it would be 100% dry, but sometimes that's not possible, especially on walls during new construction.

Unless the OSB was completely saturated I have a hard time believing it's is still wet.

Do you have attic ventilation (roof vents, ridge vent, soffit vents)?
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cibula11 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 47

I am no expert but I personally would not worry about water during the install. A constant water source is bad but some water will just evaporate if everything else is correct. Additionally, you are noticing mold on the underside of your roof. What kind of roof do you have and how is it ventilated? You have a ventilation problem which is resulting in a constant water source in the form of condensation I would expect. Did your roofing contractor change the ventilation in any way?
Typ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,602

Are you sure that's mold? I have seen OSB that comes stained like that. I'm not saying it's not mold, but it could be some random staining. How many sheets have this?
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
cibula11 (02-05-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,012

Was the roof papered before the rain.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,676

Op says they did not cover the roof. That said, if the roof was properly shingled and has proper ventilation, whatever is there will dry...and I wouldn't worry about mold as even if it is there it is OUTSIDE the house envelope. Ron
ront02769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2

Mold is generally associated with condensation in the home. If there is mold near the roof area it is often because the roof is not insulated and has no underlay to create a vapor barrier. Mold can also be created because the home has insufficient breathing this will create moisture in the home. Condensation will cause mold which is a bacteria and is not healthy
petelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,676

Agree, mold is not healthy....but you will find it everywhere in nature....so again, if it is OUTSIDE the house envelope, no worries. Ron
ront02769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement