Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By No-Limit

Old 09-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed

I am looking for some help & advice with a mobile home that I recently purchased, specifically, with regard to front deck which is causing issues with damaging the siding on the mobile home. I will quickly explain the issue and then upload a few pictures. I am not familliar with how mobile homes are constructed and/or anchored to the ground, so my hope is that this will be an easy fix. We shall see.

The main issue, I beleive, is that the mobile home seems to be shifting ever so slightly, and it is settling INTO the wood framing of the deck, which in turn is protruding into the siding of the mobile home and causing issues with water intrusion/rot, etc.

The details: Mobile home is 54 feet long Horton I believe, built and put in this location in 1996.
I'm assuming the deck was added at the same time, but it may have been added later I suppose.
It appears that the deck is attached to the mobile home via a ledger (hopefully that is the correct terminology) as I am fairly certain I can see bolt heads going into the mobile home from underneath the deck. The posts all along the peremter are 4x4 posts, which are sunk into the ground. The posts that are underneath the deck appear to be sitting on footings.

Will attempt to upload some pictures so you see what we are dealing with.
No-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

Re: Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed

It says I cannot post images or edit my posts. Perhaps I have not been fully vetted on the forum yet. Maybe i need a certain number of posts or something in order to be verified? Can someone point me in the direction of what I need to do to qualify? I serached the sticky's but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Here are the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_131204_resized.jpg   Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_131357_resized.jpg   Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_131249_resized.jpg   Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_131700_resized.jpg   Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_131534_resized.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Boy, that does not look good--the Masonite siding is rotting---

The structure appears to be free standing--not supported by the mobile home--

If I am correct--the joist nearest to the house could be removed (after you make sure it will not compromise the structure) --make the siding repairs and then be reinstalled an inch or two from the building--allowing air to circulate and keep the siding dry.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

A few more pictures would help---show the joist/rim joist and hangers--

Posts and knee braces (if any)
Old 09-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 332

Quote:
The structure appears to be free standing--not supported by the mobile home--
I would agree up to the deck level. But that roof over the deck appears attached to the mobile home.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 396

Are you in "SNOW country", there appears to be a lot of ice melt staining on the underside of the deck boards, as well as rotting of the siding.

If drifts build up in this area and freeze/ thaw, all season long it is doing this damage to the siding.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

No definitely not in snow melt area...we're in south GA.

One other thing that may be related, the porch roof is leaking. And this is after i sealed all the seams with durabond or something of the sort. It is leaking through the roof & dripping out of the ceiling every time it rains. Im thinking now maybe the pitch of the roof has been compromised if the mobile home has essentially sunk/settled. Maybe water is running back towards the joint where the porch roof meets the roof of the mobile home.

The deck appears to be freestanding but i could have sworn i saw bolt heads sticking out of that piece that runs parallel with the mobil home...which led me to believe it was attached for some reason. Ill try to get back out there to confirm that soon. Thanks for the input thus far.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 18,118

Deck should have been made free standing, never attached to the side of a mobile home!
Decking never should have been installed that close to the siding!
Deck should have been built at least 6" below the door opening and the siding.
Roof should have started all the way to the peak of that house roof so you would have some slope.
Where's the code legal railings?
Old 09-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Ok, just to throw another wrench into the equation: There is also a rear deck, (photos below) and it was installed the same way, with a ledger that is most definitely attached to the house (bolt heads can be seen in one of these photos). And also, the 4x4 corner posts are butted up right against the mobile home, not giving me much room to work.

One of the pictures shows just how close this rear deck is to the siding of the mobile home. Why it would have ever been built with not even a small gap between the deck boards and siding has me scratching my head. Also, why use a ledger if the structures are basically free standing, as they are supported by posts along that stretch?

My thoughts at this point, are to detach both front and rear decks from the mobile home, by unscrewing the lag bolts from the ledger board. Before doing that, I will make sure there is adequate support (posts & footings) to support that ledger, will add diagonal braces to the 4x4 posts to help support deck. Then once the decks have both been detached from the mh, I can get the mh jacked back up & relevled. Then I would add a new joist a couple inches inward from where the ledger was, also supported by 4x4 posts on footings.

I would still need to do something about the corner posts being too close to the house. I guess I could then cut them out, as well as cut off a couple inches of the deck boards to create a gap. Fix the rotted siding, and drink a couple beers.

This sound like the best plan of attack so far?

One other thing to add, I have not had any issues with wondows or doors sticking, walls cracking, etc.. however, as mentioned, I have had an issue with water leaking through the front-porch ceiling every time it rains. I used a seam sealing tape to thoroughly cover all of the seams, and I do not believe it is coming in from the seams of that roof. I'm thinking now, because of the settling of the mobile home (especailly that front side), the pitch of the roof is likely not adequate to shed the water, and it is probably running back to the joint where the porch roof meets the mh roof. I cannot see that joint from on the roof, becuase it is covered by the mh shingles. However, that would all add up & make sense...as the slope of that roof looks almost flat when i look at these pictures.

Here are a few photos of the rear deck. Sure wish the deck builder wouldn't have 1) attached it to the mobile home 2) put the corner posts so tight up against the mh.

Why was a ledger used if it is essentially free standing? Any thoughts there? Just to make it more stable, I'm guessing.
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_131927_resized.jpg   Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_131827_resized.jpg   Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_131952_resized.jpg   Mobile Home Deck- Help Needed-20160911_132002_resized.jpg  
Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 396

There are no good answers as to why a previous someone did anything.

Only if you want to correct their mess.

Your plan sounds good, have you checked the home for level in several places?

Take a level and place it on the floor in both ends, on the countertops, in a window sill or two, just to see if it has settled any.

That will give you an idea as to what needs jacked or shimmed to correct it.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. It is clear that I need to determine how level/unlevel the home is before doing anything else. I will use the water level method at each pier to get an idea of what areas need attention.

Assuming the house is in need of being leveled: I will confirm the deck is fully supported on it's own, adding posts and footings if needed, and then will detach the two decks from the mobile home before leveling the mh. I will add a joist a couple inches inward from where the ledger currently is, make sure it is adequately supported, and then remove that ledger. Will also cut off a couple inches of deck boards at that end, to free up some space and create a gap. Will then work on getting the siding replaced/repaired.
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement