Mirror Mirror On The Wall... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,446

Mirror Mirror on the wall...

I have a den where the previous owner had installed floor to ceiling mirror on two sides of the walls.

I have left it alone for a few years but now I want to take the mirrors down.

I assume the mirrors are glued to the sheetrock.

Is there a way to "save" the sheetrock? Or do I remove both the mirror and sheetrock together?

What can I do to avoid getting cuts by glass/mirror as they break and shatter?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,560

You should be able to remove the mirror without taking the sheet rock down. After that you have to determine what's next. The surface paper will likely peel off where the glue is or there will be big globs of glue on the surface. It might be repairable or it might easier/cheaper to rip it out and redo it. Or maybe just install another layer over top.

Where leather gloves, safety goggles and safety shoes when removing the mirror.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,518

You could get a few rolls of duct tape and tape the mirrors up quite a bit to contain the glass if it breaks. Depending on what and how they adhered them, there is a chance they may come off without shattering. More than likely though, they will crack. Wear a long sleeve sweatshirt and good work gloves. Eye protection goes without saying. If they used a mirror mastic, they generally just put blops of it here and there. You might be able to scrape them off and just patch the drywall. If it's all over, probably be easier to cut the drywall out and replace. I think I would tape the mirrors and try to remove them first, then determine if the drywall needs to be replaced.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Gorilla tape over all the mirrors, then get the roll on mastic that is used when you paint trim on windows, then gets pealed off. Use it over the Duck or Gorilla tape to further hold them together. Place plastic on the floor, wear a set of Kevlar gloves, while you take a wide blade 6" drywall knife to get behind each mirror to pull them off.

Keep in mind that you will have to use Hot Mud after pulling them off to repair any places that the paper tore off. If you heat them up with a heating gun, it may help to loosen the mastic. Usually one dab in the middle, one on each corner.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 10,048

Me? I'd rent to room out to a production company....I'm sure someone can write an episode where they want to break a bunch of mirrors like that.

You get paid for them using it and they clean it up for you.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,118

I'd be temped to cover it with carpet protector.
It comes in 3' rolls and is self sticking.
PS Kevlar gloves will not protect your hands against puncture wounds from pointed glass shards.
gregzoll (02-20-2016), Mingledtrash (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'd be temped to cover it with carpet protector.
It comes in 3' rolls and is self sticking.
PS Kevlar gloves will not protect your hands against puncture wounds from pointed glass shards.
I tore up a couple of pairs of Leather gloves from when I was cleaning up a bunch of razor blades that were from when they would drop them into the wall for the bath.

If you are not rushing and picking up the shards, my suggestion was to protect from anything that may fly at your hand if the mirror breaks, so at least you can work, but not have to deal wearing a pair of heavy leather gloves.

I helped my father rip down a whole wall of mirrors in one house. We just let any that did not come off in one piece, just fall to the floor on the plastic, then used a dust pan to clean up any smaller sections, picked up the plastic to dump the rest into the trash can.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement