MASONRY-Weather Barrier Behind Natural Rock Indoors? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

MASONRY-Weather Barrier behind natural rock indoors?

i'm getting ready to install some Robinson Rock natural rock inside my house around my fireplace. i replaced the drywall with a hardy backerboard type material. do i need to install a weather barrier between the backerboard and the metal lath? i've heard mixed reviews. i want to do this the right way so i'd love some feedback from the pros or anyone who has done this.
thanks in advance.
westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

I'm assuming Robinson Rock is a brand name of natural thin veneer stone, & if that is the case:

- No need for any barrier inside.
- Really no need to remove drywall, you could have just installed the galvanized lathe over it.
- If you already have the tile board up, you don't really need the galvanized lathe. Besides, it can be a real pain to fasten the lathe through the durock. Merely use a bonding agent in the mortar to adhere directly to durock.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 95

No need for a weather barrier. As I have suggested before in this forum, for an inside application of veneer stone I find it alot easier to set the stone on the cement backer board with thinset. No need for wire and a scratch coat.
NJ Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Good timing NJ
Old 07-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #5

alright guys, sounds good. i assume you guys haven't had any problems with your stone falling off in the long run then?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

I've never lost any stone long term (never after the first few houres) inside. On durock, you may get a few that don't want to stay in the first few minutes, but after that, they should be fine. Also, I will never lay NTV without a bonding agent in the mortar. A few ounces per batch makes a huge difference in the mud, or you could use the thinset that NJ could recomend. The major difference between laying NTV & cultured, at least in my experiances, is you HAVE to lay NTV from the bottom up BED joints in place right away, meaning no going back later to grout.

I will admit that I've lost stone long term on the exterior of a house once though. It was cultured stone directly over a poured foundation wall at a partially exposed basement. About 25 stones fell over the winter, & 25 more were questionable when we went to replace the stone. We had laid the stone directly over the wall with no prep & my guys were having a hard time getting them stay in the first place. I should have known better in the first place, but I'd rather know what it takes to make the stone job fail on a small scale so I can have a better understanding what makes the stone job last long term. Very cheap lesson learned. On a side note, we did lose another 25 or so stones on this same house shortly after we set them originally. The drywallers had showed up late morning & had started hanging drywall on an exterior wall with nails. Unfortunately, this was a big house, & this hanger was FAST with his hammer! By the time someone got to him to tell him to stop pounding, the damage was done. Again not a big deal, but by this point, we were ready to get the job wrapped up & move on.

Last edited by jomama45; 07-20-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Good timing NJ
must have just beat me to the punch
NJ Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #8

thanks jomama. whats NTV and durock?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

NTV = Natural thin veneer, or any natural stone (real stone) sawed to approx. 1" thick. Cultured stone is actually a lightweight concrete poured into molds & colored to resemble stone. I've never seen the Robinson Rock, but heard of it & believe it is NTV, but I could be wrong. All of the NTV stone we've ever used comes from a local stone quarry who produces 95% of the NTV they sell.

Durock is just another brand name of tile board underlayment, much the same as Hardi backerboard.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #10

okay thanks. the robinson rock is a NTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement