Making A Fountain - Help Please! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Making a fountain - help please!

Okay, so I'm not really sure which forum this belongs in, because it's a little bit of everything, so building/construction seemed the most general.

Anyway, I'm currently in the process of making a simple-ish outdoor fountain out of 3 1'x1' slate tiles. If it helps to visualize it, each tile is its own level, and the fountain drips from each tile down to the next until it reaches the basin at the bottom. I'm angling the tiles inward toward a vertical center-line so the water kinda flows down-and-to-the-right, then down-and-to-the-left, then down-and-to-the-right... hopefully, you can get the picture. The water cascading back and forth seems like the best way to describe it.

So the way I have been trying to mount the tiles to one another is using 2 angle-cut bricks rotated and such for each joint, so when 2 tiles are mounted to either side of the brick joint, they create the desired angle (tricky because essentially I need a bit of pitch, roll and yaw to make the water fall how I want it to). The concept of figuring out these angles really isn't my problem though. The problem I just ran into today was in the mounting.

I've been using Omni Grip (recommended by Home Depot ) to set all the joints. It seemed to work fine for gluing the bricks to each other and then gluing the 2 joints to 2 tiles. But this past week, I set out to finally attach the 3 different levels and after letting the first 2 levels set and dry for 3.5 days, it seemed like a pretty solid joint. I was able to pick the 2-tile joint up by just 1 tile and hold it in any orientation without any feeling any trouble from the joint. But this morning when I went out to check the final joint that I had set up to dry last night, just the smallest little nudge showed not only the new joint wasn't even close to dry, but the one that seemed fine the night before had also failed. The tiles then came apart, and the Omni Grip was still completely wet on both of them, as if I had just set them to dry.

So after all that (and from another post I found on here), I can conclude that Omni Grip is completely useless. So any recommendations as to where to go from here? I'm completely stuck back at square 1 and a half. And additionally, is there any chance of me being able to get my money back for this terrible product (of which I used about 2% of the entire bucket).
BigTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,470

http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/proble...adhesive-8915/
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Right bob, that's the post that actually brought me to this forum via Google search. I'm hoping to get advice as to a possible (specific) alternative adhesive I could use, or maybe another way to mount the tiles that doesn't involve my rudimentary method of essentially just bricks and glue. Maybe some sort of screws or metal support rods? I'm really open to any suggestions.
BigTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

what about mason bond in between and using concrete ancors drilled in from the underside? i am a big fan of the new age glues that are out there, they are really unbelievable in what they can do. but .. they always work best with some sort of minimal mechanical hold, IMO.

Knucklez
Advertisement