Lowering A Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
gds

Rewards Points: 10

lowering a ceiling

New to the site,
I have a 8x8 bedroom closet with 11ft ceilings. I would like to lower the ceiling to about 9ft and add recessed lighting and also use the space above for storage. any suggestions
gds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

The typical installation would use a 2x6 all the way around the room at the height you want. Cut and remove the existing drywall so the 2x6 will be fastened directly to the studs.(not through the drywall) This will be the opportune time to locate the wiring that you need to tap into. And don't skimp on the nails as all of the weight of the framing, drywall, and stored items will be on these nails. Then every 16", put a 2x6 ceiling joist fastened with joist hangers and joist hanger nails. Don't forget to take into consideration that you cant have a light where a joist is, so plan accordingly. You may want to spread 2 of the joists out a bit, to leave access to the space. 23" in-between in typical, but if you are going to use the pull down stair type access, then check the rough opening dimension. Dependent on the weight of the items that are going to be stored up there, you may want to use 5/8" or thicker plywood for a floor. Be sure to orient the grain of the plywood across the joists. As far as canister lighting, choose lighting that is rated for use in enclosed areas. They usually say "IC rated" on the box. The IC stands for insulation contact. They cost a little more, but safety is paramount. As far as a finish, if you don't have the confidence in yourself to mud drywall(a ceiling is not a good place to teach yourself), and don't want to pay for a professional, then tongue and groove "V-groove" is a pretty fool-proof choice. It is very forgiving, and can be stained or painted, and really looks good. It is one of my favorite finishes. Hope this helps.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
gds

Rewards Points: 10

lowering ceiling

Thanks allot for the info it will be a great help. the walls and ceiling are all red wood tongue and groove, so i'll need to find the studs prehaps with a stud finder. i don;t want to cut into the wood if not nessasary.
gds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement