Low Spot Causing Water Pool In Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Low spot causing water pool in garage

We have a very large garage and there is a large low area where water accumulates from melted snow from the cars. The pool can cover as much as a quarter of the floor and is just inside one of the garage doors. It's beginning to erode the cement. I was wondering about carving a sump and having a metal grill made. How would I get the water to drain from the sump? What else could I do? We've had no luck getting the concrete guy to return to fix it. Thanks. L
babydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

grind a small trough to the garage door and drain it to the exterior
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
babydoc (03-17-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,016

How low is the low area - and it's approximate size / diameter?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #4

Th3e area is probably four feet by six with a gradual slope inward. When two cars are parked all the melting snow from both gradually pools there to make a shallow pond (1 1/2 to 2 inches) at the center and spreads out to cover about ten to twelve feet of the garage. Thanks for any advice you can offer. L
Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

is this new work?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

I hate ot say it, but at that depth (1.5-2"), you'd be better off tearing out the floor, or at least a good part of it, & having it pitched correctly. If the puddle was only 1/4" deep or so, I think you could score the floor to get it to run outside, but not at that depth. There really is no other simple, non-obtrusive, code compliant way to correct this problem IMO.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
babydoc (03-17-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoc View Post
Th3e area is probably four feet by six with a gradual slope inward. When two cars are parked all the melting snow from both gradually pools there to make a shallow pond (1 1/2 to 2 inches) at the center and spreads out to cover about ten to twelve feet of the garage. Thanks for any advice you can offer. L
Whew, that's pretty bad. Is there room to maybe add a cap to the whole garage area and make it level?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,622

i drill'd a hole in the ctr of our birdbath that'll work til i can get a slot drain into the garage
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
babydoc (03-17-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I had a similar problem. When they poured the garage floor they gave me a nice slope towards the doors. Unfortunately, they left a lip right along the doors. Water puddled there, and the salt and mud made a mess. I tried scoring the floor with a concrete blade in my circular saw, but the the saw cuts filled with goo, and quickly became ineffective.

I rented a concrete grinder from UR with two big diamond stones. It was a gas powered beast, and quite a handful to run. I spent a couple of hours knocking down the lip the full width of the garage, tapering the grind from the door back.

My puddles weren't nearly as deep as yours. Maybe 1/2 inch. I took off about 1/2 inch of concrete in an area 2 feet wide by 20 feet long. Rental was $150. A big job, but better than tearing out the floor.

The ground off part of the concrete looks so nice and smooth, I wish I'd done the whole garage...

Last edited by houseinthewoods; 03-18-2010 at 01:36 PM.
houseinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #10

Thank you all for your replies. You have given me a couple of good ideas. Sanding a path to the garage door sounds like the easiest solution since the "birdbath" is pretty close to the door and the drive slopes away quite sharply. And, on second thought, the depth isn't quite as much as I estimated.

If that doesn't work I can try the slot drain.

Linda

Old too soon; wise too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement