Looking To Downsize, Pricing Out Options - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stick\shift
  • 1 Post By stick\shift

Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Looking to downsize, pricing out options

My small family and I are thinking about downsizing and at the same time move further out to the country with a bit more land. We were looking at plans for a prefab small cabin or cottage idea - something truly tiny that we could set on a basement and either buy outright or pay off quickly. I guess my question is, is it always better to buy an existing house if one is looking to save money, or is a tiny cabin on several acres doable for much less than something preexisting? In my area, (northern Wi.) a 2ish bedroom home on say 5-8 acres generally runs upwards of $150k for anything near a substantial town. Regarding the house alone, is it possible to purchase a tiny one or two bedroom modular cabin or home and have the basement, driveway, well, electric, septic etc for less than say $65k altogether? We're not afraid of a tight squeeze to fit into something tiny.

I realize much is dependent on the water table, length of driveway, etc...but is this a pie in the sky idea/should we just look for a foreclosure (or resign ourselves to a 180k loan), or is it a possibility?
birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,330

Re: Looking to downsize, pricing out options

Welcome to the forums.

Quote:
is it possible to purchase a tiny one or two bedroom modular cabin or home and have the basement, driveway, well, electric, septic etc for less than say $65k altogether?
I doubt it. I assume you mean this on top of the purchase of the land. If you're including a several acre plot in this price, I highly doubt it.
Mingledtrash likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,036

You may be able to buy a log cabin kit for around your 65,000 price point but that does not include electrical plumbing or the land it sits on.
http://www.coventryloghomes.com/
http://www.battlecreekloghomes.com/l...rts-pavilions/

Honestly you could get a local to build you something better for cheaper but this is a good estimator.
https://www.southlandloghomes.com/lo...ices-estimator
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 228

I'm born and raised in a city but managed to escape, so I fully commend a country lifestyle, but:

- Are your significant other and kids aware of and ready for a life in the weeds (distance from friends, neighbours, family, stores, school, likely need for 2 vehicles, etc. etc)? It's one thing in nice summer weather. Envision it in February.
- Can you earn an acceptable living in a rural area?
- A long scenic driveway is nice, but you have to clear it in the winter.
- You mention "small" family - if you mean small kids, they grow up and need more space. They might want to join after school activities which turns you into a taxi service.

People born and raised in the country or bush take all of this in stride because it's what they know but for urban-raised people it can be quite a culture shock.

I don't know construction or land costs for your area, but $65K seems light. Digging a basement/foundation, drilling a water well, installing a waste system, utilities, permits, clearing the lot and cutting in a driveway add up quickly. Unless you want to dig out your vehicle(s) every morning in the winter, a garage should be on the list, even if it ends up just being storage for all the stuff you need to keep a rural place going. In northern Wisconsin, everything will have to be insulated which adds to the cost over a cottage or many prefabs (and prefabs you have to pay to get it to the site - and have a site that is accessible for the truck). I assume there are websites that can give you a ballpark $/sq.ft. for a build.

I don't have the gene that gave me the urge to built my own place or even have it built to my plans. I've always needed to walk into a place to get a sense of it so I vote for buying an existing place. It ends up being a compromise of your wish list but I don't know anybody who built a place that didn't later say they wish they had changed or done something, so neither option is perfect.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 274

Quote:
- A long scenic driveway is nice, but you have to clear it in the winter.
The other problem with a long senic driveway is that it means a long electrical service. That means more $$$.

Just throwing numbers, it real hard to hit your $65k target if your electrical service costs you $20k.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for the replies. The $65k-ish is aside from land, yes. I grew up in the country so am very used to all the potential issues Lenitach mentioned - bring em on! Thank you for all the ideas and advice - this is something we want to have well-researched before moving ahead, obviously.
birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,330

The best asset you can have in a search like this is time - if you can wait, good deals will come along.
ChuckF. likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement