Lookin For An "easy-fix" Solution Here...!! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By carpdad
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 08-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

lookin for an "easy-fix" solution here...!!

so, i bought my pretreated 2x4s &plywood sectionals in order to construct a level platform base for my new 5x5 storage shed. all went well, til shed turned out ti be a dud...UGH. since, ive spent sum quality time trying to fig what the best replacement would be...& i think ive FINALLY found one im happy with (only AFTER having bought, completely built, torn back down &returned THREE(!!) alternatives in the process! smh
**heres the problem: given the actual msrmts of 1st shed, my platform currently measures @ 71.5" x 67"...now, my new shed instructions recommend a minimal platform measuring 75.5" x 55.25"!! UGH
can anyone offer any easy fixes to adjust what ive ive alrdy built so that it will fit my new sheds needs?!! pretty please!
(also, i DO have many extra pieces of plywood available on hand, its just not pretreated like rest of my platform.) im willing to go grab another cpl cut-2-size pretreated 2x4s, im just not too thrilled @tthought of having to rebuild an entirely new, correctly sized platform all over again (mostly cuz im alreadyn exhausted just from thinking about it! but also cuz it seems it would render 1st platform a useless waste of time &energy. grr.)
**ivd included pics of my current platform, shown before plywood was added &afterwards once finished...
**(my thought was to take of plywood grab a few of the mini crossbar pieces and nail to end of current platform, then reattach plywood to ends, allowing for a mini uncovered stripe somewhere in middle- that or add piece of untreated plywood to fill-in that mid-section stripe. buuut, i honestly dunno if thats even feasible or whether it could potentially even work out at all ! SMH.)

so clearly, i could DEF use any input from yall!! any thoughts or helpful hints to simplify this project would be SO very much appreciated... thanks!?
Attached Thumbnails
lookin for an "easy-fix" solution here...!!-image_1471833850876.jpg   lookin for an "easy-fix" solution here...!!-image_1471833876011.jpg  
blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

Re: lookin for an "easy-fix" solution here...!!

On short side, I'd just add more 2x4. Longer side can be covered with ice shield and left as is. Bend the ice shield up so rain doesn't drain into the shed.
You're blocking the ventilation hole and the phone connection, I think. You also may be too close to the ac condenser - may need more room for repairs. The shed roof may be draining over the condenser as well. Once things like this go up, nesters like mice may come. Make sure that ventilation hole is better than rusting netting.
blitzen likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
blitzen (08-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,376

Those 2 X 4's are not direct contact rate and there's not going to be any air flow under it so it has a chance to dry out so the 2X's will end up rotting and the plywood will so mold up and likely delaminate.
blitzen (08-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 906

Agree with the above two posts. If I understand your post and pics, you need to make your platform 4" longer and the width is ok. You mention "cut-to-size", which tells me you have no way of transporting long lumber or have few to no tools. Probably the easiest way (really not the proper way) is for you to add 4" to the length is attach 3 pieces of 2x lumber (they look like 2x6 not 2x4) the full length of one end and cap this with left over ply. 2x lumber is 1.5" so 3 would add 4.5". Scabbing little pieces of plywood is not the best way to make a floor but you've already gone down that road. I also notice that your plywood is about an inch or so short along the front. I don't know if that is an issue for you.

I'd be interested in learning your reasoning for using the rather random joist spacing. Also, what fasteners did you use to hold this thing together? Pressure treated lumber required specific nails or screws.

Also, although we can't tell from your photos, if you could move the whole thing to photo left/top it would sit between your vent holes, not block your communications service and be farther away from the a/c
blitzen likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
blitzen (08-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction , easy , foundation , platform , too short