Lock A Fence Door. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

lock a fence door.

I have a three sided fence behind my row home. There is a slight gap around the door. Someone keeps entering my yard even though I have a floor bolt. They probably just slide their hand through gap to unlock it.

Is there a way I can put some kind of metal pieces on the door posts and slide a pole or piece of wood into them? Do they sell anything like this?

Thanks.

Last edited by rosemonster; 09-09-2010 at 10:48 AM.
rosemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Isn't there a hole where a lock will fit ?
Once they realize the gate is locked they probably won't go that way

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Isn't there a hole where a lock will fit ?
Once they realize the gate is locked they probably won't go that way

No, no hole. The fence needs to be repaired but it opens out. I had it installed with the good side facing me. I was hoping to screw something like maybe a metal piece on each post next to door and slide something like wood through it like a 2x4. I don't know what they sell that I could buy to do this.

Here's a pic.
http://picasaweb.google.com/11032697...36064986050386
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Easiest way is put a latch like this on
Then put a padlock thru the hole in the middle

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #5

Thanks Dave. This looks very easy to install. I would still be interested in putting some kind of metal brace I can slide something through just for while I am using back yard to work on things around the house and leaving tools out, etc. I live in the city. From previous experience, I've learned I'd better secure it better than this. Someone with access to this alley way always seems to notice when I'm having work done on my home and breaks into yard.

When I'm out in the country, I see the big horse farms that drop a piece of wood onto 2 braces to keep the horses in the field. I would love to know what kind of braces but to make it secure I was hoping I could find braces that closed on top and I'd just slide a piece of wood through horizontally. They couldn't get in that way.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

You have the idea, you just have to get a couple of Pressure Treated 2x4's or 4x4's and then just get a couple of C shaped brackets. Check your local Farm & Home store, or if you have a metal smith shop that makes Wrought Iron fences, then can make them out of flat stock. With the brackets, once you get the new fence, just use them with that to help brace the door from being opened.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

Hi Gregzoll, "C brackets", I'll look this up. This should do it. Thanks so much.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 472

Your local home improvement stores sell split rail fence materials like they use on horse farms plus a wide assortment of gate hardware including sliding bolt locks. If you leave expensive tools out in your yard in the city and a thief looks through the gaps in that thin stockade fence and wants them, locking the gate is not going to stop them. All they really have to do is kick in a few of the slats which is easier still since you have the fence rails on the outside which they can also scale.

What you need is a tall, expensive, strong fence like brick for backyard security. Bars on the doors and windows will help you sleep better at night also.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #9

Correct you are. Especially where I live. I way don't have the money to get a brick fence right now, but next time I throw any money into the yard, I plan to go that route.

I have every window barred and just pulled the exterior bars off a large 1st floor back picture window yesterday to try and fix it 'cause it's leaking. I'm new to doing window repairs myself so it will take me a few weeks to learn it and get them finished. I was so happy to finally get the bars that had hammer set nails into the brick off, I forgot about security. Of course as I'm thinking of all this and scraping the window paint, I slip and cut the phone wire that runs into house through this window sill. So no alarm now.

What can I say. At least I'm trying and learning. Maybe I'll save some money on the next window, right?

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look up split rail fence materials now and see if I can't find these. Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,652

For the brackets, you should be able to find the Handles that are used for pulling open Gates & Barn Doors. They will look like a 'C' as I mentioned before, but will be flat at the top and bottom to allow screwing to wood.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #11

Hi Gregzoll, I looked up c brackets and searched every thing from horse and farm sites to fence sites and plumbing. Can't seem to find what I thought would do it. What you describe here, do you mean the black hand pulls like I have on my fence? This may work for now. If you mean something different, could you show me a link?

I also found wrought iron shutter slides and pulls in case I don't find what I really want quick enough. Do you think these would be sturdier than the fence locks they sell?

Thanks again for helping me. I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement