Load Bearing Joining At Brick Wall. Studs Where? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Load bearing joining at brick wall. Studs where?

Hi guys, I've been searching around for something similar to my situation.
I currently want to remove a wall that is load bearing and replace with a LVL beam. The load on this wall is currently two old dropped ceiling each about 10' to the wall. The joists overlap at the wall. The ceiling is not a massive amount of weight compared to structural parts of the floor and ceilings.
The wall i want to remove goes from the exterior brick wall to a wall that is structurally load bearing. If I put in a load bearing beam then I will need to have a king stud and a couple jack studs on both sides. However the frame work on the brick side looks to be what they call balloon frame. I don't have anything for the king and jack to sit on directly. There is a beam below the hardwood floor that looks solid but I don't know if that is okay to do. I'm trying to figure out a way to secure the studs to that wall properly. I have a couple of images to include here. The header beam will be a flush, so it won't be seen in the end.
Please let me know what you thoughts might be. Should I put it on that plate I see below the floor and also screw the king stud to the brick wall?
Load bearing joining at brick wall.  Studs where?-1.jpg

Load bearing joining at brick wall.  Studs where?-2.jpg

Load bearing joining at brick wall.  Studs where?-3.jpg

Load bearing joining at brick wall.  Studs where?-4.jpg

Load bearing joining at brick wall.  Studs where?-5.jpg
corypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

You have interesting, old style framing. Unfortunately it is impossible to determine from the photos the condition of the supports, or the real geometry of the project. You need to determine the load on the proposed beam, which is normally determined by looking at code for unit loading, but this may not be appropriate in your case.

You mentioned that you were planning to use an LVL, so perhaps you had the LVL sized by the lumberyard supplying it? In that case, you may be able to bring them scaled drawings of the project, and they can suggest methods of support. You also need to discuss the project with your building inspector. The geometry is unusual enough that the building inspector may want your beam and supports designed by an engineer or architect. It is essentially impossible for someone on an internet chat forum, who has never visited your house, to offer reliable design suggestions for such a unique project.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,463

I've been DIY for almost 40 years and there is no way I would consider that without a field visit from a certified structural engineer. The Internet is not the place to get any other form of advice for a project of that magnitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement