Load Bearing Beams - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 07-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Load bearing beams

Would like to convert two 8wx7h garage doors to one 18w8h. In order for this to be done there are two load bearing beams which need replacement or reinforcement.
First beam is over the garage doors. I am being told the span is over 20ft so two 1 3/4 beams will not be strong enough. The wall will need to be made wider from 4 inches to 6 inches to accommodate the wider beam.
In the center of the garage is a support which has the back half of the second floor on it which needs to come out. All the floor beams toward the garage doors are parallel to the support beam. Everything toward the back of the home are perpendicular. So, all the floor beams toward the back end, resting on this support. Should this beam be replaced? Or can another one be run parallel right next to it?
After speaking with a few different contractors all giving different opinions on how they are going to do this. I have heard steel, better header add support next to it with metal post in the walls. Prices are all over the place. One company said the architect is $1500 for the drawings and $4500 for the work. Can anyone please offer me some insight to help get me through this project.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Load bearing beams-img_20180703_092819-1-.jpg   Load bearing beams-img_20180703_094628.jpg  
Turbo1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,098

Re: Load bearing beams

Yes, You hire the engineer have him draw up what needs to be done. then you get quotes from contractors. Then you are not comparing apples and lemons.
HDS likes this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement