Lighten Color Of Concrete Patch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 PM  

Rewards Points: 10

Lighten color of concrete patch

Over the weekend I filled a small crack (1/2 inch crack 2 feet long) in my front porch with premixed mortar (the kind in a caulking tube). I know I should have thought about this earlier, but the mortar dried a much darker color than the rest of the front porch. Is there anyway to lighten the mortar? Thanks for the help. DB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 PM  

Rewards Points: 75

if its a working crack, just wait a bit & the repair material'll probably crumble & pop out from the movement of the porch due to thermal contraction & expansion,,, unless you realize what type of crk it is, how can you repair it properly ???

other'n that, just wait til the patch gets dirty,,, objectively, you'll never be able to hide it UNLESS you overlay the whole porch,,, i couldn't either, btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 05:06 PM  

Im guessing you used a latex type morter caulking(the kind quickcrete sales at homedepot). It was something you shot with a caulking gun right? im a little confused when you said "with premixed mortar (the kind in a caulking tube). " im going to aswer assuming you used caulking which is the right choice (not mortar mix). no matter what you use, you will be able to notice the repair. what i have done before is use the dust i make from grinding the crack out and after caulking the crack sprinkle the dust over the caulking so that it sticks on the surface of the caulking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM  

Rewards Points: 500

we used a couple tubes of that 'stuff' last week on a new strip mall per the supt's instructions incl the 'dusting' trick,,, i stand by my earler post, kc.

caulk is a poor choice of mtl for cracksealing,,, sealants are always preferable w/2sided adhesion, NOT 3.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 PM  

where would the 3 way bond be? its a crack. caulking would seal from one edge of the crack to the other side of the crack. as long as the ratio is 1 to 2 on the depth to width you would be fine. if the crack was to wide than just use closed cell backerod.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 AM  

Rewards Points: 500

if it were done w/caulk, just fill it,,, to give proper adhesion to the sealant, we'd use either bond-breaker tape or closed-cell backer rod,,, VERY rarely use dever foam anymore,,, but i can't see the crack from my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement