Leveling Living Room Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

Leveling living room floor

Looking for some input on leveling my living room floor: The slope is too much for self leving compound and I want the living room floor level with the kitchen floor as it is now 1 large open space.

-The living room was added to the house in the mid 1920’s and has a stone foundation.

-The North side rests on the original foundation of the house that was built in the mid 1850’s! All stone foundation.

-The east side is connected to the kitchen that was added in the mid 1990’s

-The span of the room is 16X24. The floor joists are true 3X8x16. None are cracked or broken.

-The floor has a bad slope towards the oringinal foundation. And part of the living room floor is about 1/4 an inch higher than the kitchen floor.

- The sill plate is solid doesn’t have any rot or bug damage. It appears the slope is all due to age of the house and settling of such.

-The crawlspace beneath the area is as dry as can be no matter how much rain/water we get.

Can I take conventional 2X8s? 2x6s? Lvl? and sister them to the existing floor joists in orded to level it the necessary amount? I plan on installing pillars beneath the floor as extra precation for long term. The current subfloor is tongue and groove oak 1” boards. I also plan on removing these and using them for projects around the house and replacing with 3/4” subfloor. Which will help make up the few high spots throughout the floor.

Thanks in advance for any help
Jd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #2

Also the current floor joists are 18” oc. I plan on using 3 1/2” nails courtesy of my air nailer to attach them. With either carriage bolts or some type of adhesive to keep them in place. Any thoughts there?
Jd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,106

Re: Leveling living room floor

Sounds like a plan, glue and 3" nails will be fine. The old lumber will be hard and the gun may not want to sink them.
As you are over 16" OC I would move up to a thicker Advantech subfloor
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement