Ledger Board Attachment Advice - Patio Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79

Old 04-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Ledger board attachment advice - Patio Roof

Hi! I am building a roof (single plane like a carport) over my patio and looking to attach a ledger board under my gutters so as to not to mess with the house roof. I have two questions.

1. Can I cut away part of the lower eaves support, as well as the 1x strip, so I can slide a 2x10 ledger board in?

2. How do I know where to put my lag bolts for the ledger board, so as to ensure it is attached securely to the framing or top plate?

I've attached a few pictures of the area i'm referring to. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Ledger board attachment advice - Patio Roof-covered-patio-1.jpg   Ledger board attachment advice - Patio Roof-covered-patio-2.jpg  
DIYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,934

Re: Ledger board attachment advice - Patio Roof

#1, What's your location so someone would know your snow loads.
#2, Single story home?
In most cases no way would I build it like your suggesting.
There's not going to be enough slope, low slope roofs leak far more often.
Far better to attach to the roof.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

1. Live in central Maryland.
2. Single story home, but there's a drop to the patio. Looking at about three feet drop over 18 feet out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

If I attached it to the roof, what's the best method? Thanks for the help!
Old 04-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,934

Best picture I could find.https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click
You have no clue how many times I've had to deal with low sloped roofs like your suggesting.
Just a few examples, the rafters where so low they had to cut them so the outside door would open. had to custom order a door to get outside, outside wall was 6' just to get enough slope to use shingles.
One lady had 2 brand new roofs installed within 5 years, one with all storm and ice shield underlayment. All leaked.
Finally changed the pitch, (as I suggested at least 7 years ago, never leaked since.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,758

You can't attach another roof to it until you find out how the original roof is framed. Looks like 2x4 rafters that suggest your roof is truss frame.
If truss, you can't attach 2x ledger board to it. You may be able to sister to the rafter but new rafters probably have to sit on the load bearing wall plate and not using existing truss (or even 2x4 rafters).
Truss is also usually rafters and ceiling in one. Truss ceiling may have frame and drywall separation problems and additional rafters may become problems. This is something you should talk to on site carpenter.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:20 AM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,024

@joecaption 's picture gives you a much better slope and adds most of the extra weight on the bearing wall
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.

Last edited by Nealtw; 04-30-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,122

All good advice given here. Take it from me DIY with my experience. I built a porch like you are proposing on the back of one of our prior homes and regretted it soon thereafter. Very bad idea because as JC said, mine leaked and leaked and even a pro roofer refused to even try to fix it.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice. Is the low slope roof the main issue, or my original idea of lagging a ledger board into the exterior load baring wall an issue as well. If I were to shorten the run from 18 to 16 feet to achieve a 3/12 pitch, would that give an acceptable slope for water run off? Planning to use classic rib metal roofing that states a minimum pitch of 3/12. Additionally I will be taping the seams. If that is an acceptable slope, could I ledger into the wall or is that not advised regardless of the roof slope. Thank you all again for your advice. I covered a deck using metal roofing at my previous house, but it was a freestanding structure and don't have experience attaching a roof to the house.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #10
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMD View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice. Is the low slope roof the main issue, or my original idea of lagging a ledger board into the exterior load baring wall an issue as well. If I were to shorten the run from 18 to 16 feet to achieve a 3/12 pitch, would that give an acceptable slope for water run off? Planning to use classic rib metal roofing that states a minimum pitch of 3/12. Additionally I will be taping the seams. If that is an acceptable slope, could I ledger into the wall or is that not advised regardless of the roof slope. Thank you all again for your advice. I covered a deck using metal roofing at my previous house, but it was a freestanding structure and don't have experience attaching a roof to the house.
3/12x16 feet is 48" less plus the thickness of the roof.
You can find the top of the wall by feeling inside the vent holes in the soffet. You could likely jack up the fascia end just enough to remove the 2x4 and replace it with a ledger but better would be to set the new rafters on the top of the wall
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ledger board , metal roof , patio , roof