Leaving Window Rough Openings Open? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffmattero76
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By huesmann

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 74

Leaving window rough openings open?

My window installer said he wants to wait until the block and framing are done so that he can measure and get the exact size. He doesn't want to take any chance that they won't follow the plans exactly.

This will leave the openings exposes to the elements for up to a month.

Rain will get on the floor trusses and decking, any drywall, and rough electrical, etc. Plus on any material that is stored in there.

Is this normal?
farmerjohn1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Re: Leaving window rough openings open?

Cover them with plywood

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
JPeters likes this.
jeffmattero76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
Cover them with plywood

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Will there definitely be damage otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,162

Windows are double checked ass built to save you money, this can be done before the roof is installed. After the roof is on the roofers are there the next day if the GC is doing his job. Then you have plumbers, hvac and the electrical there is no problem.
JPeters likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Windows are double checked ass built to save you money, this can be done before the roof is installed. After the roof is on the roofers are there the next day if the GC is doing his job. Then you have plumbers, hvac and the electrical there is no problem.
This is a 2 story house. The first story is block, the second story is wood framed. There will be floor trusses and decking exposed to the elements as well as interior partitions.

He's telling me it takes 3 weeks to get the windows so that's 4-5 weeks of having the house exposed to rain through the window openings.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
This is a 2 story house. The first story is block, the second story is wood framed. There will be floor trusses and decking exposed to the elements as well as interior partitions.

He's telling me it takes 3 weeks to get the windows so that's 4-5 weeks of having the house exposed to rain through the window openings.
Yes, normal stuff, drill a few holes in the floor and let the water out. Or find a different supplier. We get them in about 10 days from order date.
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,185

If you don't wanna spring for plywood, nail some tarps up in front of the windows to keep rain from being blown in.
JPeters likes this.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 962

This is new construction, yes? Not a big deal to wait on windows but also it doesn't need to be this way. It's just a preference that the contractor has come to from experience building in your area. Each region does things a little differently, and even by region it's going to depend on the strengths, weaknesses, and quirks of which crew is doing the work.
The wait till it's framed approach has saved me on occasion since you sometimes run into issues with the plans or realize that windows aren't placed or sized well once you're looking at the real thing and not just on paper. Super easy to add, move, remove, change them when they haven't been ordered. But I've also built where we just didn't have the time or didn't want to leave the house open for that long. In those cases we just made extra certain that we had the window openings right when framing. The GC just has to stay on top of his framing crew.
I prefer to have the windows there as soon as there's a roof so we can dry in the house and let the other trades do their thing. It's nice to be able to close up at the end of the day and turn a key in a door instead of taking everything with you or leaving out in the open.
Now, if you do wait for the windows, it's not that big of an issue if you have a roof and overhangs that shelter the wall somewhat. Even if you don't, the framing can get reasonably wet without damage. New construction won't see any drywall or even electrical wiring until it's sealed up to the weather so that's not an issue.
NotYerUncleBob2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement