Lean To Shed?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Lean to shed??

Hello,
I am planning to build a lean to shed for extra storage and had a few questions I was hoping for a little help with. The shed will be built on an existing 3x8 concrete pad on the side of my brick house. My plan is to build a freestanding unit and just use the concrete pad as the foundation to set it on. The main question I have is whether to attach the unit to the brick or just attach it to the concrete pad and leave a small gap between the house and the shed? If attaching to the house is the best option then what is the best way? Thanks in advance for any help.
wrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I would not attach it to a brick house, too many possible issues, little to gain. If high wind is a possible issue, you certainly need to design the roof so it does not blow off (think hurricane clips), and you need to attach the posts solidly to the foundation. Your slab may not be suitable, a typical slab is only a few inches thick, and you cannot fasten adequately to it. You may need to install concrete footers where you want the posts to fall. Then again, maybe you are not subject to wind, in which case you may be able to anchor the posts to the slab.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 459

This is a 3' x 8' shed? Are you heart-set on building? You can probably pick up a pre-built (kit) in metal or resin for less than $500.
Nick DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement