Leaking Window - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking window

Hi everyone,

My first post here.

I live on the top apartment of a 3 story granite building in the UK. During heavy rain water is coming in at the top of the frame. Its a vertical split frame so there are 2 windows and the water is coming in on both sides. I sealed both sides with sealant a few weeks ago It seems to have worked for one side but its still coming in on the other side during heavy rain. I will try to re-seal again but I want to get this fixed properly. Does anyone have any advice?

If it needs a proper repair who would actually repair this..a joiner/double glazng company/builder? I'm not really sure who to call for this?

Some pics at the link below, I've marked where the water is coming in (click on them a couple of times to zoom).

Any advice welcomed!

http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/y...king%20window/
leakingwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Why don't you call the Super?
If you own the place, call the company who installed the window.
If you don't know who installed the window, call a company that installs this type of window.
Better yet, call a company that installs this make of window.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It's rare for a window to leak at the top like that. Worst case scenario is the roof is leaking and dripping down the wall into your window.
Your sealing attempts appear to be on the inside of the window, but if the rain is coming in, the sealing should be done on the outside of the window. 3 story building = not a DIY project.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I second that; this may be, as suggested - a window issue at best and a roof issue at worst but either way, it would be best to have the owner in on this right away. Are those new sash windows?

It could be a flashing issue from the rain water coming down the side of the building, or it may be from a roof leak a number of feet away from where you see it. Or it may be just the window sash isn't closing properly - can't really tell - but either way, this should be brought to the attention of the owner as insurance might be involved and certainly further more serious damage is to be expected if ignored - and you don't want to be lumbered with that...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

Do you own or rent the appartment?
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses everyone. To clarify a few points:-

I own the apartment (or flat to give it its proper name ). I'm in Scotland, therefore there is no super, landlord etc. Repair costs are borne by the home owner or shared between all 6 residents in the block in the case of common areas of the building requiring repairs.

The building is approx 100 old years but in good condition.

I am insured.

These windows are old, maybe 20 years? Ive been in the place 14 years and they we were already there when I arrived. I dont know the technical term for them but they are the type that slide up and down vertically.

And yes its too high to be doing anything on the outside. Ive attempted to draw a crude cross section that hopefully shows the set up in a little more detail. Let me know what you guys think. If its a case of calling someone in thats fine. But who best to call for this problem...a window company, roofer, builder??

Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Your windows are considered "double-hung" here in the states.
That granite block over the window is a "lintel".
You could remove the window sashes and while sitting on the window sill, apply caulking (sealant) to the same places on the outside that you did on the inside.
(Make sure your life insurance policy is current.)
This would eliminate one variable.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #8

I should have added not to scale in my sketch! From top to bottom the window is around 6 feet and I'm decidedly less than 6 feet tall, so sitting wouldn't be an option. Really dont think there is a safe DIY option that Id be confident enough to handle on the outside.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #9

I see...it may just be a case of missing or loose caulking on the outside between the stone and the wooden frame. If so, and putting aside a leak from the roof which may show up again elsewhere later, a window expert could fix that.

Caulking does dry up and come away from where it is meant to be; we recaulk our windows every 5 years or so.

Good luck
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,348

This leaking has started recently? Has anyone done any roof or gutter work? How old is the roof? Is there snow on the roof?
When you look at the window from the exterior, do you notice any missing flashing or gaps around the window? If you have a set of binoculars, it would help. Compare the visual of the leaking window to others in your apartment.
Chec the gutters to see if they're tight to the fascia. And that the fascia is tight against the rafters.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 582

It's quite common for the felt to fail at the eaves. This allows water to run inside the building.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #12

has the water reached your neighbors down below yet?
Advertisement