IPE Deck Treatment Confusion - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

IPE Deck Treatment Confusion

Upon further research, I still can't come to a consensus about treating an IPE deck. Iím having the boards delivered tomorrow so any input would be appreciated.

The project - 400 sq foot 1x4 grooved IPE deck with tiger claw TC-130 hidden fasterners, approximately 30'' of the ground, with a staircase covering 2 out of the four sides, with the other two sides open (deck not attached to house).

Treat both sides - My supplier said to treat both the top and the bottom before installation (I'm pretty much set on Penofin). Is this necessary? My thoughts are that Penofin is really to keep the visual look the same, not for anything like cupping. In fact, many people don't treat their decks at all, and allow it to turn grey. I've seen many different opinions on this.

Applying Penofin in heat - of course the next week temps are going to be in the high 80s, and the Penofin site says 80 is the max temp. Is this really a concern? Problem is, chances of having a 70 degree day on a weekend this time of year is slight. I can wait a few months, will IPE grey in that time? Of course if I wait, I can't treat both sides (can't access under deck).

Preventing cupping - should I be concerned? Should I install vents and/or glue boards down?

Obviously, I'm a bit confused here. Help is much appreciated!
BSponz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 836

Read this thread.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?t=45002

I couldn’t agree with the last post more.

Here’s another. http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-06-2...stain-ipe-wood

The “only” people I’ve ever seen promoting “sealing Ipe” are the ones with something to sell.

New Ipe is a beautiful color, who wouldn’t want to preserve it. I’ve built many Ipe decks and have had a few customers try to do just that. After a few years, all have gave up. Nature wins.

Believe it or not there are some things on this Earth that don’t have to be altered and will preform just fine “as is”.

I have never seen a wood that silvers out so nice.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-17-2010 at 12:38 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I built my own back porch from Jarrah and Ipey and all I ever do is wipe it down with boiled linseed oil two times a year and it looks like new.

DM
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I would urge anyone to reconsider using IPE as decking. IPE is all taken from the amazon and can take hundreds of years to regrow. There's no such thing as responsible harvesting despite what you may hear. Feel free to do your own research. I think the wood is beautiful and would love to use it but cannot in good conscience.
c00rdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I know what you mean. My supply was from an old building that was torn down.
I love to recycle. Even though it meant a bit more prep time.

DM
Advertisement