Intermittent Popping Subfloor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 373

Intermittent popping subfloor

Getting ready for new carpet install so pulled out 900sf of carpet and padding upstairs, fun!, not.

So in one room I had several issues,
1. A crown over one of the floor joists that extended halfway through the room

2. plywood subfloor was loud as it was not secure to the joists in many areas, nails lifted a bit, 35 yr old home. I could see a few nails lifting.

So I solved the crown with my belt sander, and the screwed the loose subfloor down to the joists with deck screws. I also pulled a lot of loose nails and used screws instead.

So now I am getting a random pooping noise when walking around the room? Not all the time? WTH??

Any suggestions? Need photos?
titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
Getting ready for new carpet install so pulled out 900sf of carpet and padding upstairs, fun!, not.

So in one room I had several issues,
1. A crown over one of the floor joists that extended halfway through the room

2. plywood subfloor was loud as it was not secure to the joists in many areas, nails lifted a bit, 35 yr old home. I could see a few nails lifting.

So I solved the crown with my belt sander, and the screwed the loose subfloor down to the joists with deck screws. I also pulled a lot of loose nails and used screws instead.

So now I am getting a random pooping noise when walking around the room? Not all the time? WTH??

Any suggestions? Need photos?

Do you mean like flatulence sounds?

Just add more screws where necessary.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,010

What do you mean by crown.?
What you are describing, sounds to me, the plywood is either under sized or the wrong type.? Maybe the same goes for the floor joist.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Crown is a high spot on the subfloor. One of the joists is high causing a high spot on the finished floor where two sheets of plywood come together. I sanding it down a bit to lessen the crown or bump. The sub floor also was not 100% secured to the joists as I could hear the subfloor hit the joists while walking around the room. I did not hear this popping sound until I started screwing the floor Down tight to the joists. That does not make sense,
Old 02-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
Crown is a high spot on the subfloor. One of the joists is high causing a high spot on the finished floor where two sheets of plywood come together. I sanding it down a bit to lessen the crown or bump. The sub floor also was not 100% secured to the joists as I could hear the subfloor hit the joists while walking around the room. I did not hear this popping sound until I started screwing the floor Down tight to the joists. That does not make sense,
Add more screws where necessary.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Added more screws, still getting a creak sound in one area, see photo. The edge of the plywood was pretty beaten up from the nails being pounded in. And there was a large gap between the sheets. I have put a screw into the edge about every 3 inches. Should I cut out this section of plywood and replace it, I could then glue it down first. The way the framing is done at this spot there are joist supports all around this piece. I would only replace from this bad edge to the next joist 16 inches to the right. The area creaking has the box on it.

Last edited by titan7; 02-08-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Patches should be supported by at least 3 joists, two is not enough. You should be able to get away with it with certain types of flooring like carpeting as you are using though. For most cases, patchs should therefore be min. 32" wide and supported on all sides or covered by a second layer of underlayment.

Is the floor unfinished from below?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #8

The patch would be supported in all four sides. See the photo above with the box, hammer, and cat paw, visualize a rectangle within this area with is 36x16. That would be the size of the patch and there are joists under all four sides, if you expand the photo you can see the seams of the plywood sheets and the nails/ screws. Is it worth trying this or a waste of time?

I am really up against the wall with carpet coming on weds. I can push that back if needed.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Tileguy

Something isn't making any since here. How long are the screws you are using? I'm thinking the Phillips-head screws you are using are the cheapest screws on the shelf and not very good ones. You should be using a deck screw with plenty of length and high threads and a Torx-drive. Go get some real deck screws and pay around $8 per pound for them, then draw them down tight sinking the screw head slightly.

I'm thinking those screws are stripping themselves and your tool is skipping and hopping out of the head, you don't seem to be "setting" the screw heads.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Titan,

You're ok with the 16" width since you're going with carpet, with the exception of the noise. I was suggesting that with other types of flooring the patch needs to be supported by min. 3 joists, in addition to the ends of course. When supported by only two joists you'll get curvature when a load is applied to the center causing both edges to peak. This is important, but not with carpeting.

Again, in the ceiling below unfinished or finished?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #11

I had the same problem when I replace carpet with laminate . Re-nailed the subfloor and then a squeak started when walking over certain areas. I crawled under the house and found a nail rubbing on a hanger when walking over the area. Secured the nail and the squad stopped .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 586

Anyone notice the plywood is running the wrong way in one of the pictures? That would cause more movement if the plywood runs with the joists instead of across. I may just be looking at it wrong.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement