Interior Walls Not Touching Truss Chord - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Nealtw

Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM  
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 479

Interior walls not touching truss chord

I have been framing some interior walls and standing them up with the second top plate already attached. I have noticed so far on most of the walls that the top plate does not touch the bottom chord of the truss. My exterior walls seem to be about 1/16 - 1/8" taller in some locations which I will chalk up to be from how bad the pressure treated lumber was and that over time it will settle. I'm not too alarmed by this but I don't know what to do when it comes time to attach a sheetrock ledge to my secondary top plate. That sheetrock will bow down 1/8-1/4" unless I shim the sheetrock backing board to match same elevation the truss bottom chord is. Any suggestions on the best method, and if this has happened where your wall doesn't actually make full contact with the truss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 09:31 AM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,658

Re: Interior walls not touching truss chord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
I have been framing some interior walls and standing them up with the second top plate already attached. I have noticed so far on most of the walls that the top plate does not touch the bottom chord of the truss. My exterior walls seem to be about 1/16 - 1/8" taller in some locations which I will chalk up to be from how bad the pressure treated lumber was and that over time it will settle. I'm not too alarmed by this but I don't know what to do when it comes time to attach a sheetrock ledge to my secondary top plate. That sheetrock will bow down 1/8-1/4" unless I shim the sheetrock backing board to match same elevation the truss bottom chord is. Any suggestions on the best method, and if this has happened where your wall doesn't actually make full contact with the truss?
It is normal for the trusses not to sit on the interior walls. actually they like it for you not to attach the walls to the trusses but they don;t tell you how to hold the wall in place at the top. so you can add an extra block on top of the wall between trusses.

If you get snow on the roof you can also experience truss lift where that actually gets worse in the winter. Every one has a different idea why.
You do the ceiling dry wall fist and leave the screws back away from those walls and let the wall dry wall hold up the edges, any movement in the trusses will not break the corner if the truss can move and the drywall bends little. Don't expect the trusses to come down.
jlhaslip, stick\shift and Bud9051 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 11:20 AM  
Young Bachelor

Good to know, but wondering how - as you said - you secure the top of the wall if they expect you not to attach to the trusses. If my wall is perpendicular I like to attach to a few trusses and if parallel, I installed blocking between two trusses and screw into the blocking.

I just thought it was common practice to screw ALL the edges of the ceiling sheetrock because I know it's good to have it anchored on the edges. I would think an unsupported edge like that (even with the wall sheetrock in place) would be liable to crack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 11:45 AM  
retired framer

Quote:
Good to know, but wondering how - as you said - you secure the top of the wall if they expect you not to attach to the trusses. If my wall is perpendicular I like to attach to a few trusses and if parallel, I installed blocking between two trusses and screw into the blocking.

I just thought it was common practice to screw ALL the edges of the ceiling sheetrock because I know it's good to have it anchored on the edges. I would think an unsupported edge like that (even with the wall sheetrock in place) would be liable to crack.
On the walls running with the wall you put a 2x6 on to of the wall and on the other walls add 2x6 block between the trusses to screw the drywall to and try not to have screws into the trusses for about 16" from the wall and the trusses can flex with out any damage.

The discriminatory in truss levels is why they do a popcorn ceiling.
And if you don't do the blocking and you want crown molding you will have trouble with that.

Holding the wall in place, whole nother story, most framers cheat. but they would like you to do. With wall going the other direction fro the trusses put a 2x4 from the top of the wall to the top of the out side wall and then from wall to wall.

For the other walls after you have the 2x6 drywall backer on top stand a block on edge so it will be higher than the trusses so you can then join walls together.

Or

Just don't put the blocking between the trusses he has above the exterior wall.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:52 PM  
Young Bachelor

I see the point in the uplift clips. Funny reading other forums to see people say they have always nailed each truss to interior wall and never have problems while others say the clips are required and direct contact is a big no-no.

Anyways, I'm fine using the clips. Still have a concern about the ceiling drywall floating at each interior wall location. Someone said use those drywall clips, but what makes 0 sense is the clip is then screwed onto the top plate of the wall. Well, the rest of that 5/8" rock is attached to the trusses, when the trusses lift that clip attached to the wall's top plate won't move...therefor that would be a major flaw - right?
Old 07-31-2017, 02:37 PM  
retired framer

Quote:
I see the point in the uplift clips. Funny reading other forums to see people say they have always nailed each truss to interior wall and never have problems while others say the clips are required and direct contact is a big no-no.

Anyways, I'm fine using the clips. Still have a concern about the ceiling drywall floating at each interior wall location. Someone said use those drywall clips, but what makes 0 sense is the clip is then screwed onto the top plate of the wall. Well, the rest of that 5/8" rock is attached to the trusses, when the trusses lift that clip attached to the wall's top plate won't move...therefor that would be a major flaw - right?
No the real flaw is when you screw the dry wall to the drywall backing at the wall and to the truss near and then you get truss lift and it breaks the corner of the drywall between the ceiling and the wall all to hell.
Like I said about popcorn ceiling, Popcorn was new to the market about the same time trusses came on the seen. It makes the waves in the ceiling harder to see.
[https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=...ift.&kpvalbx=1
Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 PM  

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:

Keep your ceiling screws back at least 12" from interior walls. Your wall drywall will push up tight to the ceiling drywall. I don't think it's a huge deal but you won't have screw pops if there are no screws to pop, wether your trusses lift up much or not.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 PM  

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Be thankful the trusses are an 1/8" higher and not lower. An 1/8" is nothing.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:04 PM  
Young Bachelor

Replying to circle back to this discussion. I've used those clips in a few spots. In all reality, my walls seem extremely sturdy due to all the perpendicular walls that help tie it together. I am seeing the gap between truss chord and wall top plate vary along each truss so that tells me it's definitely the truss that is causing the gap and not my framing.

I'm getting concerned as rough ins are finishing up. Is there any right answer about ceiling drywall backing?? I hear so many differing suggestions. Clips, 2x6 on top of the top plate, no backing, backing only if truss isn't within 12", etc. I get the logic behind *not* screwing drywall to blocking because the truss chords move with temp/humidity....but I also believe that a mudded corner at the ceiling to wall joint will *not* be forgiving when truss chords move. So should I be concerned about it? add blocking? If I do add blocking I will have the shim the blocking up 3/16" of an inch so that it's the same plane as the truss chord since most of my walls are 1/8" to 3/16" from touching the truss.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:14 PM  
retired framer

The trusses can change from winter and summer and we all like to argue about why but it is called truss lift

If the drywall hangers do not screw the last 18" to an interior wall the trusses can move and the corner stays taped and the drywall just bends a little.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 PM  
Young Bachelor

Neal, So if I have a truss that is literally 22" away (one wall where one truss is directly above the wall, and this means each side of the wall has a truss 22.5" away) then I need to compensate and add blocking atop the top plate of my wall? Besides this case, everything else is about your 18" number which I imagine is just an overall estimate of too much unsupported rock?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 PM  
retired framer

Quote:
Neal, So if I have a truss that is literally 22" away (one wall where one truss is directly above the wall, and this means each side of the wall has a truss 22.5" away) then I need to compensate and add blocking atop the top plate of my wall? Besides this case, everything else is about your 18" number which I imagine is just an overall estimate of too much unsupported rock?
The wall under the truss would get a 2x4 on each side. When it was right at the edge we would add it to the truss, It was up the hanger to screw it there or not.
Remember that the ceiling is done first and they jam the wall board up so that puts it in place and supports it
So when all said and done there is no spot that is unsupported.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:44 PM  
Young Bachelor

Yeah with a truss over the wall it means I can't just lay a 2x6 flat. I can either attach the edge of a 2x4 flat on each side of the wall, or attach one side to the truss by nailing through the truss to to 2x and the other would be toe-nailed. I don't like putting all those nails in the truss chord if I don't have to though. I think I am just over-thinking the process and should not worry about supporting those edges. Walls are a whole other story. More support needed on edges in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:01 PM  
retired framer

Quote:
Yeah with a truss over the wall it means I can't just lay a 2x6 flat. I can either attach the edge of a 2x4 flat on each side of the wall, or attach one side to the truss by nailing through the truss to to 2x and the other would be toe-nailed. I don't like putting all those nails in the truss chord if I don't have to though. I think I am just over-thinking the process and should not worry about supporting those edges. Walls are a whole other story. More support needed on edges in my opinion.
Mails won't hurt a truss. But best if you can nail to the top of the wall. When you go to the side of the truss, if you ever did get an extreme problem with lift and the board was screwed to side of the truss it could be a problem.
If that was ever a problem you could go up and remove the few nails holding it to the truss and the board would just sit on the wall board.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:08 AM  
Young Bachelor

So back in the day when you framed, did you get to do any of the rock hanging? I have only 5 walls that run parallel to trusses which makes them candidates for needing blocking (potentially) but I believe only 2 or 3 are gonna need it on one side of the wall. I started cutting little spacers (3/16" slices of 2x4) that I will put on the top plate of the wall before screwing/nailing the backing board on. This gives me the gap needed to match the *current* truss chord elevation.

One thing I forgot to mention is I plan on doing a good amount of blow in cellulose. It will add some weight, but I don't imagine much per square foot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement