Interior French Drain With No Footings - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Interior french drain with no footings

Of course i have a basement water issue, even after proper grading and proper down spout diversion. I was excavating trenches to put in thefrench drains into a sump basin and realized the foundation walls have no footings. They are 7 foot solid concrete walls just sitting on the clay soil. What is crazy is that there is no cracks or bows anywhere on the foundation and the house is about 80 years old. What im worried about is that digging the trench will disturb the soil enough that it could move the foundation. As i move on further i plan on coming out away from the wall a little more with the trench. My thought process is that with fabric, back fill rock and floated concrete it wll keep the soil where it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
brandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,948

Re: Interior french drain with no footings

Addressing just the foundation issue, in my locale it is VERY common to just do a single set up, single pour, often just a 10" poured foundation. In fact, the house that I am currently sitting in is done the same way. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

Re: Interior french drain with no footings

I see it once in a while here as well, and actually just did interior draintile on one 2 weeks ago. Not ideal IMPO, as it tends to have a chance at leading to a phenomenom known as "scour", or simply erosion. Still "probably" worth the risk though, as it will help eliviate the water level around the foundation.

When we do these, we almost always use a "toe drain" so that any future water leaks higher on the wall are captured w/o running across the floor. I'll link to the product we use below, but there are obviously others. IMPO, you want one that offers lateral support to the bottom of the wall from the floor. If you have known radon issues, this product can offer more issues to deal with.

https://www.mtidry.com/products/acce...s/floor-edging
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement