Interior Door Too Wide... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior door too wide...

I have just purchased a 6-panel interior door from HD. It is Pre-Bored, and I have already trimmed off the bottom to fit the height. My problem is the door is 3/16" too wide. I know that I have to remove that 3/16", but my question is what method of removal do you suggest?

I'm thinking of marking it, putting on a guide the full length of the door and carefully removing it with a circular saw. Would that be the easiest way to remove the 3/16"?

Thanks,
Todd
ToddMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

first, make sure the door can be cut. Depending on the construction of the door, it may not allow for cutting.

then, since the lockset is already bored, I would trim the hinge side. If not, you will alter the distance to the edge for the lockset and it will not line up properly.

I would use a really good table saw, not a circular saw.

Before I used a circular saw, I would scribe the finish line and use a power planer or even a hand powered block plane. A circular saw does not generally provide high quality cuts and any gouges will show.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Nap has a very good point, you should definitely cut the hinge side if the door allows. However, I would not use a circular saw or table saw, no matter how good the blade you are going to get chip out on the off side. I have had very good success using a router and a long straight bit, I have a 2 inch long, 1/2 inch diameter carbide bit that works really well for this application. If you make the cuts in 1/4 inch increments, you should get a really nice edge. Make sure you use a straight guide that is firmly clamped to the door.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I agree to not use a circular saw. But, if you have access to a table saw, it can easily be done. Just use masking tape on both sides of the door to prevent tear out, use a good quality blade in the table saw, and go slow. I've done this many times with good results. Just make sure to have a helper handy. The door will want to see-saw off of the table of the saw, making it more difficult to keep the door tight to the fence, thus decreasing accuracy.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice. I do not own, nor have access to a table saw, so I am going to have to use the circular saw. Does anyone know if HD will cut it for me? I don't care if they charge me for the cut, I just need it done.

I'm getting to the point of ripping the whole thing out and getting a pre-hung door. (Although, that may be another headache I don't need)

P.S. Nap, the door can be cut. I have already taken a couple inches off the bottom and re-glued the bottom frame piece back into the hollow.

LESSON LEARNED: Not all doors are created equal!

Last edited by ToddMiller; 10-23-2009 at 10:37 PM.
ToddMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

If it were me, a good old block plane would be used. You can even clamp on runners on each side so you plane just enough and end up even.

If you do not want to plane that much, use the circ saw but cut 1/16 shy and plane to a finish.

seems like I like planes, doesn't it?

actually, I just believe they are under used tools and what you are doing lends itself well to a plane, the longer the plane the better.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement