Insulation Questions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Rewards Points: 89

insulation questions

HI there.

I have a few insulation questions that someone may have a tip about. We live in a 40 year old house, and the insulation isn't the best, but not terrible either.

However, in the last few days, as there have been windier, colder days, I've noticed air leakages in our main living room area the corner of the house. Also, I noticed at floor level, there is cold air coming through below the window and this may be because of poorer insulation from below in the basement.

I am planning on insulating underneath the living room, just above the drop ceiling we have in the basement to hopefully help stop the drafts from the floor in the living room.

As for the cold air coming from the corner of the living room area (not too close to a window, what can I do without having to tear down the wall and redo insulation/drywall?

Thanks for your help.
mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

The best thing to do right now, is to insulate in the basement/crawl around the Sill Joists, seal any gaps with caulk or spray foam. For the windows, get the Window film kits, and use those. Also, get the foam pieces that you put between the wall plates & the outlets/switches to help stop outside air infiltration. As for the doors, make sure the weatherstripping is up to par, if not, use both felt & the strips that you place on the jamb against the door to help stop. You really have to start in the Warmer months to have ready for Winter.

Also, are these older windows in the home? If you look at cost to replace, it can be anywhere from $3200 to 10k depending on number of units and size.

It may take a few times to get everything done, but it can be done. Insulating the Attic & walls, is something, that you may want to check around with the local contractors for cost on blowing in, but the outside leaks need to be closed up, otherwise you are just letting in dirt & moisture.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

We're being very aggressive this year and are insulating everything we can.... water pipes, outlet covers, extra attic insulation, new windows. We'll see if things improve. Last winter they were dreadful!

There is a commercial on TV these days for a can of foam insulation... "Great Stuff"... they have an online list of areas where homes often have leaks... (ex. clothes dryer vent) Can't hurt to checkout their website....

http://www.greatstuff.dow.com/?gclid...FdFL5Qodsho6hQ
(look at their airseal audit pdf)
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
long island, NY

this thread got me searching online again for ways to better improve our own home's draftiness....

I found this website:
www.nationalenergyaudits.com

If they work in your state (they're local to me, and work throughout the northeast), they will come to your home and do a complete energy audit for only $150.... it's a very thorough test (description online). I think we're going to call them in once our attic insulation is done
Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #5

Why pay some 3rd party, when most utilities will do it for you.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
long island, NY

holy crud! I never even knew that until your post

you rock

I checked out national grid and they DO give energy audits..... The only mention of it that I saw was on their website on a "request for information" e-form.... I guess they're not trying to advertise that program too much becuase it's expensive for them.....
Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #7

It is expensive. If I was to have CWLP here in Springfield do it, they would point out what I already know. No insulation in the main floor walls, back door that leaks, along with poorly installed windows, which allow for air leak between the windows & the storm windows. I cannot wait until next year when I start tearing into the Bathroom & Kitchen.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
long island, NY

My gut tells me that I only know some of the problems... we're already adding attic insulation, replacing most of the windows, insulating hot water pipes where we can(DIY), and intend to hire some spray foam guys for the rim joists (I'll DIY a lot, but not spray foam...)

But I bet there are other leaks... the $10,000 question is how bad the wall insulation is........ (is it bad enough to warrant a $$$ spray foam retrofit?) I also sense drafty areas by some exterior walls with unknown sources... Improperly installed windows? Drafts caused by pipes, outlets, or poor siding problems outside?

Wonderin' if I can solve any problems with a few cans of great stuff
Old 10-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #9

Look at it from a 3rd party point of view, and look back over the home inspector notes again. I have been doing my home little by little (picking areas I missed, etc). I just reglazed my basement windows, and afterwards, used Window & Door spray foam along the top edge to seal from drafts. I used R-13 along the Rim Joists to help stop cold air from coming through. The windows need to be pulled & reinstalled with caulk at the front edge. I would like to pull the Sears installed windows & have newer windows put in place, but probably will pull them, and reinstall properly.

We also put new storm doors up 2 years ago, and they have helped stopped drafts at the front doors.

I just keep noticing every year new points that need to be done, and keep up on it. Just make a punch list, and keep track as you go down the list, and also check the tax credits that your local utility offers, and the IRS "Green" creidts.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation does not stop air infiltration/exfiltration.
Proper air sealing will.
HomeEnergyTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement