Insulation In Basement? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Insulation in Basement?

I have 2x4 framed basement walls with no insulation and no vapor barrier. The basement is completely underground, and the walls are away from the concrete at least 1". The walls are 9' tall and in one 12x15 room have been sheetrocked up 8' with a 1' opening at the top. The rest of the walls have only been framed at this point with no sheetrock.

Is there any way to insulate these walls correctly without taking down the sheetrock in the 12x15 room? Also, what would be the best/correct way to insulate the rest of the walls?
mchel_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Not really. The best way is with foam placed behind the Gypsum board.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #3

What about styrofoam beads? Also, what are the pros and cons of a vapor barrier?
mchel_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchel_27 View Post
What about styrofoam beads? Also, what are the pros and cons of a vapor barrier?
See attached link....everything you ever wanted to know about insulating basements.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings...s/db/35017.pdf

The gold standard is 2" eps glued to wall, then framed wall with batt insulation and no vapor barrier.
Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

unless your basement is wet all the time, there is no need for the vapor barrier. with your walls only being drywalled up to 8', there is plenty of room for the moisture (if any) to excape, therefore no mold will build up. Unfortunately, there is no way to insulate correctly after you have put up the drywall.
mbreihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

we bought foam sheets of insulation and slid it up behind the drywall because we had the bottom 4 feet removed which we replaced later - if you have 2x4's you should be able to get at least 2" and maybe add a 3/4-1" white cheap foam to make tight enough - I would put the vapor barrier only if you have moisture - we did - and our basement was waterproofed so we left the pastic to protect our new drywall.
good luck
qchawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 526

Where are you located?

Be safe, Gary
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

the hawk is in the quad cities - did you mean me?

go hawks!
qchawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 526

No, sorry, I was asking the poster, m27, where.

Be safe, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement