Insulating Workroom In Shop Building - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

insulating workroom in shop building

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone that responded to my previous post about ensuring my workroom ceiling is walkable (walk-on no-slope ceiling thread).

Now I have a new question... what kind of insulation do I use? R-13 seems to be acceptable for the walls, but do I use faced or unfaced?

Two walls are "exterior" walls, and two walls are "interior walls".

The two interior walls that you see when standing in the shop are pretty standard walls. They are 2x4 walls and I'll put that brown hardboard from Lowes on the outside and wall paneling on the inside. So should I use faced or unfaced insulation? Should they be considered exterior walls since the shop isn't really an interior space? (lots of draft when I open the doors)

The two walls facing the exterior walls of the shop might be a bigger problem. Long story short, the backside of my 2x4 studs are about five inches from the actual exterior wall (which is tin on the outside and 1/2" foamboard insulation on the inside). I didn't put a backing on the 2x4 studs (like hardboard, or sheathing, or plywood), there is just an extra five inches of space and then the foamboard of the existing exterior wall. Should I use faced or unfaced insulation here? Is the extra space going to be a big problem? Trying to put a backing on the 2x4 wall I built is going to be next to impossible now.

For the ceiling I plan to used faced insulation, the facing side down, at an appropriate R-value. That's easy enough to google though.

Thanks for reading!

motex
motex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,462

Re: insulating workroom in shop building

Paper or poly always go to the warm side. On the outside walls, can you post a picture.
Fill the space in the ceiling joists with insulation. As much as you can get with out overfilling.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

Re: insulating workroom in shop building

Ok, picture attached below.

The darker wood in the middle is the existing 2x6 sandwiched column. On the right side of the pic you can see the concrete floor behind the new stud, and then one of the existing pressure treated 2xwhatever's that ring the entire shop around the concrete floor. Just beyond that you see the white interior side of the 1/2" foamboard insulation. So from the back edge of the new studs to the foamboard is about 4-5" of dead space.

motex
Attached Thumbnails
insulating workroom in shop building-column-1-2-.jpg  
motex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement