Insulating Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2007, 02:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

insulating wall

I'm restoring a 100+ home. It is built entirely out of Cyprus. The outside siding is nailed directly to the studs (more like beams) their isn't any weather board or anything like that underneath. The walls are 12’. Some of the rooms have had the drywall removed. Under the dry wall are 1x6 solid Cyprus planks nailed to these beams and ceilings.
My question is this, I had my other home vinyl siding replaced and they added a thin foam board underneath for insulation as the home hadn’t any in the walls. Would it be ok to use this thin foam board on the inside of the old house underneath new drywall?
We live in south Louisiana.
Thanks

Last edited by edfoxx68; 05-17-2007 at 08:54 PM.
edfoxx68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #2

We are just going to pull off the paneling, then the boards underneath that, insulate with the roll stuff and then replace the boards and re-panel or use drywall. Someone suggested blowing insulation between the walls, but that sounds expensive. We want to do all the labor we can.
Kbotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 01:16 AM   #3

Someone suggested pulling a few boards top and bottom than slide the roll stuff through. Should work even better if you use wrapped insulation. Sounds worth a try.
edfoxx68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 06:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

What about using the dense pack cellulose or the polyurethane insulation foam? Either product is superior to fiberglass, and may be easier to install as well.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Having blown cellulose installed in the exposed wall cavities will cost you about .50 a sq/ft.....far superior results then using fiberglass. Althought the wall application isn't really a DIY task, you can get netting and then get the home center blower and DIY it that way...the fill won't be as good as wet blown/glue set, but still beats fiberglass.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement