Insulating Steel Building - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating steel building

This thread was rejected by contractor talk for some reason, perhaps someone here can help:
Odd job for me. I have a 24 x 36 steel buiding, which is actually a fully enlosed carport. The job I was asked to to is insulate and finish, having no real experience on metal buildings I am looking for help. The building specs are
24' deep
35' wide
10' walls
The support structure is 5' on center, 2 1/4" square tubing with a mid bar at 5' as well.
My plan is to rip 2x4's to 2 1/4" and frame the openings at 2' on center, insulate, then attach plywood/osb for the interior and paint.

My question is about vapor barrier, does it need to be applied to the exterior between the insulation and the exterior metal wall or can I simply use regular that one would use in a house, apply a vapor barrier between it and the the wood interior wall. For electrical boxes I will be using sealed boxes. I am told the garage will eventually have heat and a/c. The climate in Southern Virginia, near the coast.

For the roof, simply using 2" foam board. This is a lightly used shop, mostly for recreational car repairs and tinkering.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating steel building-garage1.1.jpg  
danno676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #2

vapor barrier

personaly i would do all the framing elec. insulating ect. the put visqueen plastic over all the framework the drywall/osb/plywood that i think should do it, is the building heated? if not, i wouldnt isulate or vapor barrier there is no point no you dont need anything on the inside of the outside wall

Last edited by porky150; 11-06-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: i dont think i aswered the basic question
porky150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Enough is Enough

Rewards Points: 75

I have a similar pole barn. Using 1.5" pink insulation board, Visqueen, then 3/8" plywood for the inside walls. Wood furnace for heat.
H. A. S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

There's no heat or ac at this time, but plans are to have it installed eventually.

Thanks for the replies, I expect to use the fiberglass batts/rolls on the walls after framing and electrical, followed by a VB. On the roof I will be using the board insulation board for weight reasons and a much easier installation.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
DIY

Vapor barrier rule of thumb

The vapour barrier should always be toward the warmer, conditioned air to prevent the warm moist air from migrating through the walls and then making it half way through...cooling, condensing and causing all kinds of problems like mold & mildew and reducing R-value in your fiberglass insulation....also, be very choosey in which insualtion board to use....look for an extruded polystyrene that has a high R-Value per inch....if you you uses this type and tape your seams or the foil backs tuff-R with taped seams it should act as a vapour barrier and no platic is needed....
Dallasjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasjohn View Post
The vapour barrier should always be toward the warmer, conditioned air to prevent the warm moist air from migrating through the walls and then making it half way through...cooling, condensing and causing all kinds of problems like mold & mildew and reducing R-value in your fiberglass insulation....also, be very choosey in which insualtion board to use....look for an extruded polystyrene that has a high R-Value per inch....if you you uses this type and tape your seams or the foil backs tuff-R with taped seams it should act as a vapour barrier and no platic is needed....
So, to understand you correctly, if the inside is heated then moisture barrier on the inside. Makes sense. Insulate the top and tape, definately a high R value there as that will a major energy loss area.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
DIY

Vapour barrier

Yes...Tuff-R (the Dow chemical company makes an insulation board that is foil faced and and reports an r-value up to 6.5 per inch...whic is as good or better than some of the spray foam....probably not as tight for air infiltration, but having said that if the seams are taped with an aluminum tape and installed between the studs tightly, it pretty cost effective. The good thing about the Dows product, its availble at most box stores....
Dallasjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dallasjohn For This Useful Post:
danno676 (11-09-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement