Insulating Exposed Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Insulating exposed floor

I live in a late 1800's plank constructed building that has a cold lengthy basement (50'+) and is a wind tunnel at best. The main floor is finished in hardwood and in the basement are 2x10 joists on 16 with pink R11 insulation installed batt side up. During the cold season the wood floors and rooms in general are very cold and I was wondering if there is a solution to help with the cold.

A) Should I add more pink with a higher R value (R19 or better?) on top of the existing, with or w/o face and with breathable barrier over this (tyvek or 6mil sheathing)?

B) Roxul ComfortBatt R23 or R28? Vapor barrier or no?

I know there is a cost difference between the two insulations.

Thanks!
flatlander745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement