Insulate Raised Floor? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Insulate raised floor?

Hi,
I bought a house that had a screened in 3 season deck built off the dining room. It sits 6 off the ground.

Ive since built walls, added a few windows and completely enclosed that room in order to make it a playroom. The cathedral ceiling has also been insulated, finished and a ridge vent installed, and replaced the skylight.

Ive had some footers and a cement floor poured in the space below and enclosed it for storage and added a couple windows.
I insulated the 2 x 6 walls as well as installed insulation (paper side up) on the ceiling, or underside of the now enclosed 3 season porch.
Now, what Id like to do is raise the floor of the playroom 3 to match the level of the dining room to remove the step down.

My question is this, with the insulation, in the walls of the room below, and on the underside of the current floor (its dry a a bone in there), is it wise to insulate under the raised floor? Perhaps some 2 rigid foam?

Thanks for any advice.
bgg
bggas400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,438

Re: Insulate raised floor?

If the area below is conditioned space, I would not insulate the floor. If it is not, then I would.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,376

Re: Insulate raised floor?

Paper side up on a ceiling is a big red flag, vapor barrier should be toward the conditioned surface.
Pictures would be nice so we can see what your seeing.
Location would also come into play when asking insulation guestions.
Advertisement