DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing vent in glass block window

33K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mellolr 
#1 ·
I am currently installing a powder room in my basement. It will not have a window in it, so I need to install an exhaust vent. The nearest window is ~5' away, and it is a pre-made glass block window with a 8"x16" vent in it.

Is there any easy way to replace the existing vent with the vent for the exhaust fan? I know they make one that fits in the space of an 8"x8" glass block, but what do I do with the other space?

Can I remove the existing vent without damaging the rest of the window?

Will I be able to do this swap with the window in place?

TIA

Jason

#2 ·
vent

can you duct the exhaust fan [e.f]to the window with 4 inch duct? then take out the exist vent. and reglass block it. leaving a 4 inch hole for the e.f. finish off the out side, with a dryer vent termination. you never said if the vent hole was being used already?

#3 ·
Ok, let me clarify.

Here is the window I have:

I somehow need to run the ducting for the exhaust fan vent to that existing window. The only thing I can think of is using somehting like this dryer vent on one side, and putting another glass block for the other side:

I'm just wondering how difficult it is going to be to remove the existing vent and installing the 1 block and dryer vent.

Or I'm willing to hear any better ideas.

Jason

#4 ·
you mentioned the window was 8 x 16, but looking at the picture it looks like the bottom row of blocks is smaller than the top row. i would suggest you make sure the blocks in your window really are 4 x 4 before you do anything.

i guess the worst case scenario would involve you simply removing all 8 blocks and just putting in 7 new ones and 1 vented one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.