Installing Motion Light - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 463

Installing Motion Light

I am going to attempt to install a motion light where there is not one currently. I have the motion light, the junction box for the light and the junction box where I will tap into the electric source.

I am kinda unsure how to get it mounted onto the wall. Where I want to mount it is right below the attic vent in this picture but you see there is a 2x4 from the truss in the way. I do not want to mount it off center, it would bug the crap out of me! Any ideas on what I could do?

This is where I want to get my electric source, it is from the spare bedroom. It powers one electric outlet via a light switch. I know I will need to make sure to get the electric on the constant powered side and not the switched side.
cincinnati guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

After some thinking, I will run a new line from the electric panel to the light. I have plenty of open spots for a new breaker.

Still unsure what to do about the 2x4 for the truss.

Does there really need to be a junction box? Can I just drill a hole through the 2x4 for the wire and mount the light directly to that 2x4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati guy View Post
Does there really need to be a junction box? Can I just drill a hole through the 2x4 for the wire and mount the light directly to that 2x4?
No. That is a code violation.
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

How about a shallow box in the outside the light will attach to,drill through stud and attach to inside junction box with PVC pipe?
cjm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #5

Here is what I ended up doing. I mounted it off center. I didn't think about mounting a shallow junction box outside.

I cut a hole from the inside then cut out the siding. Mounted the junction box into the hole. It didn't come out perfect. I used plenty of silicone I think to make sure its good and sealed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement