Inspector Found Issue With Roof Bracing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By 3onthetree
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 4 Post By JBoot
  • 2 Post By Old Thomas
  • 1 Post By mthurman
  • 1 Post By JBoot
  • 1 Post By ront02769

Old 12-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Inspector found issue with roof bracing

Hi,

I have a new construction home under contract and the inspector found an issue with the purlin bracing over the garage. It is not installed to a load bearing wall (see attached). My question is, why would they design it this way in the first place? My builder said that the 2x10s are spaced 12" apart vs 16". I don't know if that helps or not. From what I can tell, they should always be installed to a load bearing wall. Anyway, he sent it back to be reviewed. Would be interested to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Inspector found issue with roof bracing-purlin_bracing.jpg  
mthurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 758

Re: Inspector found issue with roof bracing

The purpose of purlins as built in your situation would be to split the span of the rafters. 1st, do they need to do that to begin with? 2nd, the purlins would have to end on a bearing wall, or each joist that one rests on would have to be designed as a beam.

If, however, each purlin were connected to a king post rather than the ceiling joist, then you would not need a bearing wall. But I'm sure the ridge and rafters were not sized with a king post method in mind.
MTN REMODEL LLC and Msradell like this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 528

I would assume your builder has eng wet stamped plans.....what do they spec. They will trump your inspector's opinion.

(I'm not an engineer and I doubt any of us can guess at your exact circumstance.) But 3ON and NEAL will have some likely applicable advice)
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,812

Got any other pics of opposite side of attic, and underside of roof?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,634

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
I would assume your builder has eng wet stamped plans.....what do they spec. They will trump your inspector's opinion.

(I'm not an engineer and I doubt any of us can guess at your exact circumstance.) But 3ON and NEAL will have some likely applicable advice)
I would think the city would need stamped plans for that. I haven't done enough stick framed roofs to criticize.
If anything, I think it should have angle braces on those braces from the outside ends up to meet at the purlin.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

Last edited by Nealtw; 12-20-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 9,006

If you run a string-line across the ceiling of your garage, how much "sag" are you seeing ?

Edit: OK, new construction. Lumber may not have had time to settle yet.

Last edited by SPS-1; 12-20-2019 at 09:58 AM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurman View Post
Hi,

I have a new construction home under contract and the inspector found an issue with the purlin bracing over the garage.

Was this person a home inspector hired by you or a code inspector from the municipality?
JBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 602

The note saying that the builder/framer should review the building plans leads me to believe that it was not built in accordance with the approved plans. If that is the case, the inspector did his job. The builder has to either change it to comply with the plans or have the engineer/architect review it as it is built and certify that it meets the criteria spelled out in your code. Then the design professional can issue an updated drawing or change order with sketch. Whatever, it should not cost you anything.
MTN REMODEL LLC and Nealtw like this.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 12

Bracing is one of the most important and integral parts of a roof structure. The roof structure can be perfectly designed & manufactured. If the roof structure is not correctly installed and braced, you will end up with an unsafe roof. So in order to ensure the stability of a roof structure. It is mandatory to properly brace the roof trusses.
Temporary bracing - Temporary bracing is used during the installation of roof trusses to prevent the trusses from bucking and failing over during the installation process.
Permanent bracing for overall structure stability - It is required by major building codes and required to brace the overall truss system and structure as an entire system. The design of bracing is the responsibility of a building designer.
For a complete technical insight, you can get in touch with the building inspector in Perth from Prompt Building Inspections.
davidnichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #10

Sorry for the late reply

So they had BMC (https://www.buildwithbmc.com) take another look and they said that it was designed using compression framing, different collars, and 12 to center spacing on the 2x10s instead of 16". They said that the bracing referenced in the inspection report is optional and was added for some additional support.

I was also present during the city's final inspection and talked with the inspector who said that everything was fine.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Matt
Old 01-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoot View Post
Was this person a home inspector hired by you or a code inspector from the municipality?
hired by me
Bud9051 likes this.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Glad this worked out for you. Thanks for letting us know.
SPS-1 likes this.
JBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #13
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,634

After the fear subsides, no harm. Your inspector flagged something he was not familiar with and when checked it was fine. Good news.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnichole View Post
Bracing is one of the most important and integral parts of a roof structure. The roof structure can be perfectly designed & manufactured. If the roof structure is not correctly installed and braced, you will end up with an unsafe roof. So in order to ensure the stability of a roof structure. It is mandatory to properly brace the roof trusses.
Temporary bracing - Temporary bracing is used during the installation of roof trusses to prevent the trusses from bucking and failing over during the installation process.
Permanent bracing for overall structure stability - It is required by major building codes and required to brace the overall truss system and structure as an entire system. The design of bracing is the responsibility of a building designer.
For a complete technical insight, you can get in touch with the building inspector in Perth from Prompt Building Inspections.

Major difference with the OP is that his is stick framed and not a truss system. Totally different animals.
Nealtw likes this.
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement